close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quick Review on my new SW M&P Pro CORE 9mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, Jul 22, 2013.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

SW M&P Pro CORE 9mm. Holy smoly!!! What a name!!!

So, it all started when one day I got a wild hair and rented an M&P 9mm. Just the regular one. Though the trigger pull was rough and the reset was vague, it felt good in the hand, light recoil and was pleasant to shoot. I started asking people about better trigger pulls and somebody said that the Pro model has a much crisper trigger pull.

I went on SW home page and looked at the Pro model, and to my surprise they listed the CORE as optic adaptable from the factory. I had a hankering of dressing up a plastic phantastic with red dot/laser/flashlight just for giggles. So the CORE 9mm was purchased, and recently delivered to me. CORE stands for Competition Optics Ready Equipment - essentially it's precut for several popular mini red dot sights

I went with the 5-incher just for giggles. The most notable things are the slimmed down slide and the extra high iron sights. The slide has lightening grooves cut down the sides (gives the muzzle the appearance of a Browning HP) - my guess is that to compensate for the additional weight of a red dot sight to be mounted later. If you look at the top down photo, you see a plastic cap that is secured by two screws located between the rear sight and the ejection port. You unscrew and take off this plastic cap, then mount a red dot of your choice via using one of the bases that came with the gun case (pre-cut for Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, JP, Docter, C-More).

The sights are also extra taller so that they can be used as co-witness to the red dot sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Very nice. :cool: Now get a RMR for that thing!

3. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I got a box of 115-gr ball PMC and 124-gr ball Lawman to try the gun out with at an indoors range. I was glad to have found two additional high-cap mags too.

The gun came with two mags, lock, paperwork, and two backstraps: Large and Small, with the medium already on the pistol. I swapped out for the Small. Easy to do except it's a bear to pry out the little tool that resides in the butt of the pistol grip.

Trigger pull is crisp after a bit of slack. Reset is stil vague and right now it does impede me a bit with rapid fire. I have a feeling that this trigger pull will take some use to.

The sights are tall as previously mentioned with three white dots. I blacked them out. My one complaint is that the rear sight U-notch is too narrow or something. I had a devil of a time with sight alignment and sight picture. The standard M&P9 has much better sight picture. More defined.

You can load the mags just by finger pressure. It's actually do-able unlike the Beretta PX4 mags.

The gun definitely has mechanical accuracy potential but I had a real issue with establishing good sight alignment and sight picture. Took several shot groups of each type of ammo to get into the groove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Leupold Delta Point. The brother ain't a fan of Trijicon products.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

The sight picture issue definitely bugged me whenever it comes to precision aiming and shooting. It should be corrected when I mount a red dot sight.

However when it comes to the basic Mozambique drill of two to the chest and one to the head, the pistol's pointability and controllability definitely showed itself. At least out to 10-yds anyway. I tried the Mozambique drill at 15-yds and it was too embarassing to post. At such distance, one has to aim more and we're back to the sight alignment/sight picture issue again.

Overall, I am happy with the pistol. Especially with knowing that I don't have to use that stupid butt tool to drop the sear disconnect during the field disassembly process.

I'm gonna Buck Roger this mutha: Leupold Deltapoint, Streamlight TLR-2, some sort of Kydex holster that can take the gun with the Streamlight mounted. I'd be like Hawaii Five 0 McGarrett dude.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. skeeter7

skeeter7
    Expand Collapse
    Brass Vulture

Very nice! Congrats! :thumbsup:

7. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Nice pistol. At your leisure, could you post a pic of it with the large grip insert?

8. Steel Head

Steel Head
    Expand Collapse
    Tactical Cat

Congrats.
    Can't wait for the Buck Rogers pic update.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Shoot, I don't have the box handy. It's several hundred miles away in my secret hideaway. But you can't really see the difference from the photo, but you can feel it. It isn't really that much bigger. I can feel the small insert gives it a wee bit smaller than the medium insert, but not by much.

10. s&wfan

s&wfan
    Expand Collapse

I have 3 M&Ps and I like to run the small grip on all of them. I have fairly large hands. The M&P45 with the small grip feels very nice.

11. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Nice review. Congrats on the new shooter! I've held one at one of the LGS, and I recall that the sights were really tall.

12. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Congrats, fnfalman

I handled one of those recently and was impressed. Cool gun

13. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the review fnfalman and, congrats!:cool:

14. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

They are tall to co-witness with the optics(but you knew that). Nice purchase for people that want to use it with RMR's in competition or casual shooting.

On another note: I bought a new FS M&P 9 as well. Didn't care for the C.O.R.E. Pro Series. The barrel lock up issues have been solved. Also the barrel twist rate has been improved to a 1:9 twist rate from the original 1:18. Much better for accuracy. The trigger also has been improved from the earlier model of M&P's. Tactile reset and nice light trigger. There were rumors of the new production M&P's having "shield-like" components. I guess it proved true. The break I would guess is right at 5lbs. Same gritty pre-travel, but that doesn't bother me. The CORE 40 pro series I handled today had the same trigger. All in all, I think S&W did a great job in improving and fixing the past issues with the 9mm accuracy it had with some of their pistols...

#14 TxGlock9, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. willieH

willieH
    Expand Collapse

Nice gun and appreciate the review. I'd also be interested in your impressions after the optic is installed.

16. TheJ

TheJ
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Lifetime Member

Good review. Thanks!

17. glockdoc21

glockdoc21
    Expand Collapse

great review. I enjoy my twins (9mm FS and compact)

18. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Congrats! Sounds like your Pro dosn't have the updated reset/slide stop so it can be felt and heard. You'll get used to it in no time though unless you want to put in a RAM, however I'm not sure if there's any difference in the Pro model sear block...I wouldn't think so.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I don't know. It's a brand stankin' new gun that just made it to the shop. It definitely has a crisper trigger pull than the standard M&P.

20. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

I think that's because it's a Pro model. What's the test fire date? Since it's a C.O.R.E. model I'd figure it would have everything updated. I know the trigger pull and reset is quite noticeable on my FS9 and 9c both with a test fire date of late 3/13.

#20 Nakanokalronin, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013