Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

quick question form a civvie...

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by jim2037, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. jim2037


    Mar 5, 2005
    Hello all,

    I am planning on visiting my sister and her husband who is a soldier at Fort Carson Colorado in a couple of months and I woudl like to ask a question pertaining to military policy.

    I would like to take my pistol with me when I go and I dont want to run into any trouble at the gate house. Is it permissible for me to have a gun on base or more specifically base housing. Who do I need to contact? Im pretty sure the US Army is not going to allow me to walk around their base with a weapon :supergrin: however it would be nice to have it available at my sisters residence and/or for any trips off base. So how does one go about accomplishing this feat?

    Any ideas?

  2. being in the military (army) ,the post i reside on does not allow civilians to bring weapons on post. your weapon must be registered with the military police to legally bring it on post.i had to register mine the same way. i would recommend not bringing it with you.would not want to see you get into trouble.

  3. Sapperstang

    Sapperstang Paratrooper

    Oct 19, 2004
    You're not allowed to take a firearm on post.
  4. jim2037


    Mar 5, 2005
    hmmm looks like the G23 isnt gonna make the trip


    Thanks for the info guys,

    and thanks for serving!

    :beer: :beer:
  5. Jeff82

    Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

    Feb 25, 2002
    Precisely why I stay away from federal compounds as much as possible!
  6. CGAR


    Apr 25, 2006
    If you must take your pistol on the road trip...try to get your sister/husband to register the pistol on base for you, prior to your arrival. However, the Desk Sergeant may want to visually check the serial number on the pistol at the time of registration. Or, you can registar the firearm when you arrive to the base, but have your sister or whom ever is military present with you.

    If you are bold, you can have your sister or husband, which ever lives on base, register the pistol as their own the day of your arrival. Then you can drive right on post. HOWEVER, I would caution you NOT to have the pistol with you when you are driving around post. Leave it at your sister's quarters (on base housing) and only have the pistol with you when you are leaving the base for good.

    Then again, if the pistol is registered, you are permitted to transport it with you on/off base, so long as you have the rounds and the weapon separated completely (one in the trunk, the other in the glove box) you are legal. If you are stopped, you show the MPs your documents, and state you are going to the "range" or just returning from the range, but in either event, have the military member with you in the vehicle.

    Just food for thought.
  7. The trip hasn't happened yet, so here's some advice from the local MP.

    Have your sister or her husband get a registration form from the Provost Marshal's Office and bring it home; these vary from post to post so you need to know what is on it to begin with. Give her the info over the phone and have her take the completed form to the MP desk. THE DESK SERGEANT WILL NOT ASK YOU TO BRING IT IN. She may have to get the form signed by her commander. Either way, it is not uncomon for non-military personnel to have a weapon registered on pot. my dad and his friend are coming out to shoot birds this fall and they will have to register their guns before coming on post.

    Do be careful when transporting on pot. When you are on post, you have no right against searches of any sort and you are there only on the commanding general's good grace. MPs can and do set up check points and search vehciles for weapons. The fine for an unregistered gun is stiff and the penalty for a loaded, concealed weapon is far stiffer.

    Stay safe.