Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

  • Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Quick question about the National Guard

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by nexlegio, Dec 8, 2008.

  1. nexlegio


    Apr 4, 2008
    Right now, I am a freshmen in college and barring the failing of my APFT Wednesday, I will be contracted in AROTC. I was wondering if it is possible to serve in the National Guard while in college, and transfer to active duty once I graduate.


    Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
    yes, ask about SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program). usually there's a national guard recruiter attached to your cadet bn for this program. its a pretty good deal. you end up going to basic and ait during your summers too. good experience.

    ask about it!

    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

  3. Biscuitsjam


    Jan 10, 2004
    Yep, and it's a good program too. Our guys spend some of their with enlisted conducting regular training, and they spend the rest shadowing officers. The SMP guys learn a lot of skills and become better officers. I strongly recommend it.

    By the way, the army will pay you to take college foreign language classes while doing ROTC. I think it starts at about $500 per class and goes up to $2000 at the higher levels. Then, it may be possible to continue receiving a monthly check for retaining proficiency after you go on active duty. I'm not sure of all the details, so ask your cadre about it.

    Good luck.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. nexlegio


    Apr 4, 2008
    Thanks guys, I thought I had heard something about it, but I wasn't sure.