close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quick opinion wanted

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by WarEagle32, Feb 15, 2012.

1. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I just got a really nice Norinco Mak 90. I cannot stand the factory furniture, so I am going to change it to look more like a traditional looking AK. Since this is a higher end keeper gun for me, I am going to have it cerakoted or duracoated dark black. (maybe H&K black) The opinion I want is for what I should do on the stock. I have narrowed it to two choices. I like the K Var polymer PLUM stock set. The other choice is the ironwood walnut wood stock set. The price is only 30 bucks different so money isn't a factor. Both are high end AK stocks. I like the functionality of the polymer set. I like the traditionalism of the wood. Which should I go with?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Wood. Plastic doesn't quite whack the same with the buttstroke.

3. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

Thats pretty funny.

4. Farmalljon

Farmalljon
    Expand Collapse

I used to have a MAK 90. Great guns. I really regret selling it. Definitely go with the wood furniture. Much more traditional, and just "looks" so much better.

5. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

Ive had a couple of AK's in the past and both had wood stocks. After putting a good amount of rounds through one the barrel gets very hot, and uncomfortable to have my hand on the wood near the hot barrel. I haven't shot many AK's that have a polymer front forearm, but it seems to me that the polymer will shield the heat much better than the wood. However, the wood will look a little better. I can't decide which to get!

6. BearMBD

BearMBD
    Expand Collapse

I would go traditional wood, if it is not an every day gun. I think the company is called ironwood designs. Told great quality products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

If I go wood it will definitly be an Ironwood stock. Polymer will be K Var.

8. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

Anyone an opinion?

9. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer
    Expand Collapse

Man, I sure likey me some plum! and it looks pretty good too. If it's gonna be a shooter i'd go plum, if it's more of a safe queen, the ironwood would look pretty good depending on how fancy you went.

10. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I kinda want a safe queen looking gun that I can run a lot! I have a vast gun collection and this decision is as tough as I can remember. I think the Norinco AK's are going to really be worth some money in a few years so that is a big factor. I am not close to a decision at all. Help please!

11. Decguns

Decguns
    Expand Collapse

If it were me, I'd locate some nice Chinese wood furniture. Some nice orange colored Chinese wood furniture was imported a few years ago. It's out there on the surplus & gun auction web sites.

Slapping some paint (duracoat) on a MAK and an incorrect stock isn't gonna add any value to the rifle. It is a Chinese AK. It should remain that way.

12. AK74play

AK74play
    Expand Collapse

I have 2 Mak's with square cut receivers that both have Iron Wood walnut stock sets on them and they are really sweet. Also have a SA 85 M and again walnut. It's tough wood and really beautiful. In my opinion, (which meens nothing to anyone but me) it makes the Mak look to be in a completely different class. Iron Wood it definately top notch stuff.

#12 AK74play, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. zhix

zhix
    Expand Collapse

I prefer wood over polymer on AK furniture.

14. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

Everyone has basically said go wood. Ok I am going to go ironwood walnut. However, the blueing isn't bad but it just isn't that good. I think I should duracoat it black.(maybe H&K black). I think that black with the ironwood walnut will look awesome. Thoughts?

15. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer
    Expand Collapse

you know you could refinish the walnut to a plum color. a nice subtle hue of purple in the walnut dark undertones would look pretty neat

16. Line Rider

Line Rider
    Expand Collapse

MAK's seem to be going up up up in price. I would not anything to it that later I could not replace the orginal parts and stock.