close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

quick charge question?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by w4004p, Sep 26, 2011.

1. w4004p

w4004p

Nov 17, 2002
    florida
    hey, hope y'all can gimme a hand here. i've dusted off my equipment, after a long break and need some advice.

i'm loading 9mm. i'm using a 125gr lead truncated cone. i have to use either Unique or Bullseye. i've used both of these powders, before, but it's been a long time and it was for .45 so...... what's a good charge, using one of those two powders, for the the 125gr lead bullet? they're for punchin paper, so while i would like to know min and max, i'm more interested in starting at the low end and workin my way up only if i need to for cycling or accuracy.

thanks

2. EOD3

EOD3

Oct 19, 2000
    Indiana
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, third edition:

121 grain lead bullet in Winchester cases with Winchester small pistol primers:

Starting: Unique 4.3 = 940 fps Bullseye 3.7 = 950 fps
    Maximum: Unique 5.3 = 1135 fps Bullseye 4.4 = 1125 fps

These loads are from a book that's over 30 years old AND obviously for bullets 4 grains lighter than yours AND your COL will vary based on your projectile.

Be A-Lert, G** knows the world needs more Lerts.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Almost useless info on the Alliant site, they only provide max data & limited bullet choices.
    Unique is a great fit in the 9mm. At 4.6gr you have a comfortable functional load. GO to 5.3gr & you are pushing inot +P vel, all w/ very good lead bullet accuarcy. Keep in mind that the OAL is very important & pushing the LTC deeper into the case pushes pressures & vel up. My working load of 5gr under a 124grLTC @ 1.055" is making 1200fps in my G17/LW bbl.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    My standard load is 3.9gr BE under a 125gr LCN at 1.14COL.