Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Quick basic question about manuals

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RYT 2BER, Sep 26, 2012.

1. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    ^^^^ Pay attention to this!

You will almost NEVER have the exact same components so the caution is to start with the low end of the charge range and work up slowly. The thing is, some powders only have a 0.6 gr range.

Stay away from max. If you need more velocity and you're getting close to max, buy a different powder.

As you work up, stop as soon as you get reasonable accuracy and the gun is functioning properly.

One last time: Stay away from MAX.

You will probably want to buy 1# cans of powder from your LGS as you work on loads. Once you have it all worked out, you can buy in bulk with a quantity sufficient to save some money.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Well you live and learn.

Im big enough to stand up and say when I make a mistake, so here is one of those times.

I was given some advice to go a certain way, and I decided to go on my own so to speak.. now Im paying for it...

Bottom line, I have now actually loaded some rounds using the infamous nutcracker.. although it was a good learning experience, it is painfully slow.... Mostly due to die changes and since I wasnt using a powder measure, I was hand weighing every charge manually on my rcbs beam scale. That is one LONG way to go.

Furthermore, the manual process I think can be troublesome since I almost double charged a round due to the fact that when going by hand I had almost forgotten to move the funnel to another case..

Soooo I just bought a Lee Turret which I think will make things vastly faster, and I can use a powder measure and such...

The hand press, and hand primer among a bunch of things were basically wasted money now...

Live and learn..... I am however looking forward to getting the turret.. I have seen them in action many times and they look pretty enjoyable, while still being controllable and reasonably quick.

3. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Well, we tried to help, good choice on the LCT.
  4. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    One of the tricks that I learned when loading on a single stage press was to use two loading blocks. Matter of fact one was red and one was white. The sized and primed brass went in the white loading block with the base up. Pulled the case out of that white block and added the powder and then put that case with powder in the red block. Then when the red tray was full I looked into every case for powder and for the same amount in every case.
    You will enjoy the LCT 100% better.
  5. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Another method I use/teach is turn all the sized, primed case mouth down & then turn them up one @ a time to fill. Pretty fool proof as long as you visually verify before placing bullets..:dunno:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012