close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Quetion for Master Reloaders

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robin303, Mar 4, 2010.

1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Lubing Brass. What is your technique and what do you use for 9mm and 40 S&W. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I find myself lubing every 3<SUP>rd</SUP> one to go into my Lee dies decapping and such.<o:p></o:p>
    Must be a easier and faster way. <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks<o:p></o:p>

2. If your Lee dies have the carbide inserts, you don't have to lube the cases.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Using carbide dies? I don't lube cases at all when using carbide sizers. For steel, you really should lube every case to make sure one oversize one doesn't stick. Many swear by Hornady OneShot case lube, goes on wet, size after it dries & doesn't need to be removed. I have started using it on my longer magnum cases that require more force to size. Just makes things easier. For the short service cases, the polish residue left over from tumbling is all I need w/ carbide dies.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    my question is how does someone become a master reloader? it might be one of those things if you have to ask you ain't one. try HOS and a gallon freezer bag.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    It's easier just to let the butler do it. Other than that suggestion the 'Master Loader' part of your question disqualifies me. (What's lube? :dunno:)

Jack

6. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    I use the dillon spray lube for all my rifle stuff. My pistol dies are all carbide and I don't lube the brass, like fred.

I lay all my rifle brass on a cookie sheet (don't tell my wife she is still trying to figure out how she missplaced it) and give them a light spray, then a little shake and another light spray. The key is light on the spray or you will gum up dies and dent cases. By the time I have the scale zeroed and my bullet next to the press the cases are ready to go. They claim you can leave the lube on, but I wipe them down and look them over for a final inspection when I box them up.

7. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

Sep 1, 2006
    Oregon
    For handgun cases I use carbide resizer dies which do not need lubrication. For rifle cases (would apply to handgun cases with steel dies) I use a spray like RCBS or Hornady. I place the cases in the loading block head up and spay across all the cases from two sides.

Most of the friction is at the base, or head, of the case. You also want to get some lube inside the neck since that is where the case mouth sizing mandrel drags through. If you use a dry lube like Hornady you don't have to clean after sizing before putting in powder.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    7 Views, 6 Post only one guy around here so far isn't a master. All in less then 30mins as well.

9. bulldog1144

bulldog1144

Feb 4, 2010
    Atoka, TN
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I have a question about reloading. I have a G30 that my wife surprised me with a couple of Christmas' ago ( what a gal ) and I just this week bought a G36 for a little easier concealment in lighter clothing. I also bought a single stage Lee press kit to save a little money shooting. My question is, I have read on another thread on here that buying an aftermarket barrel was better if you were going to reload the brass because Glock barrels cause the brass to bulge too much from excessive room in the chamber. How much difference does it make and is it really necessary if I am using a full length resizing die? I've seen where I can get a lone wolf barrel for around 100 bucks. Thanks for any input.

10. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I knew you would chime in. :supergrin:

11. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Don't worry about bulges with the Glock .45 barrels, it's not an issue. If you're going to be shooting you may want to consider a LW barrel... lot of different opinions on that issue.

Does your wife have a sister?

Jack

Oh... welcome to the mad house.

12. bulldog1144

bulldog1144

Feb 4, 2010
    Atoka, TN
    GioaJack, thanks for the input. When you say " if you're going to be shooting, you should consider a lw barrel ", do you mean just to keep from wearing my glock barrel out? And by the way, my wife does have a sister, but she is already taken. Sorry.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO

Yeah, but I didn't read the first post.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Jack's a bit senile, but I think he meant "If you're going to be shooting lead"... :)

I'm hardly a master, but Hornady Case lube is pretty good. There's a guy who shoots at my range who swears by Dillon Case Lube. I don't know him that well, just kinda one of those guys I run into on occasion, and I've probably not seen him in probably 5-6mo.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    The spray sounds like a easy quick way to go. :thumbsup:

(don't tell my wife she is still trying to figure out how she missplaced it) :rofl:

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Bulldog:

There is a bit of controversy concerning the type of rifling that Glock uses and if it's compatible with lead bullets. You might want to do a 'search' of this forum... after reading the 7 thousand pages you'll still be bewildered... as are many of us.

BTW... you probably won't live long enough to wear out your barrel... after all, they're not NRA target pistols.

Too bad about your wife's sister... yet another woman who will lose out on the extreme pleasures of life. :whistling:

Jack

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Oops... I'm running back and forth from the stove, guess I forgot a rather important word. Don't want my Rice-A-Roni to burn. Sorry. :crying:

Jack

18. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana

19. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Yep. Don't lube them at all. Make sure your carbide insert is clean. I run a bore brush with a wet patch through the die (with the decapping pin removed). Even with clean brass, I'm surprised at how dirty the carbide gets. Clean carbide makes for smoother stroke.

If you lube the cases, you also need to remove the lube to avoid stress on the breechface.

20. bulldog1144

bulldog1144

Feb 4, 2010
    Atoka, TN
    Jack, thanks again. I didn't really think shooting my barrel out would ever be a problem. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another issue I hadn't heard about. I had read about the lead bullet issue, but for right now I am going to stick to reloading fmj bullets. In the future, I might get the lw barrel and try lead to cut costs even further. Thanks again, David aka bulldog