close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Questions about proper staking

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by SilverBullet_83, Jan 8, 2010.

1. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

Nov 23, 2008
    Clermont, Fl
    got in my stag upper a few days ago and got around to pulling it apart today. I know the castle nut on the buffer tube has not been done at all, but how does this look?
    [​IMG]

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

3. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I think Stag staking has gotten better recently, but I still like it done a little more than that.

That is better than nothing though.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I'll probably get flamed for this but.

Some of my unit's older Colt's look about like that, maybe just slightly more.

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. I might do a better job of it, if you were going to do the other one. That said, my castle nut isn't staked either, just torqued.

5. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I'm not sure about now,...but for a while ArmaLite was only using LockTight
    and torquing them. A friend in Georgia has a rifle that is done like that, it has 7k rounds fired without an issue.

6. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    That staking is fine. You can see that the inside of the hole has been deformed to provide friction against the screw, which is the whole point. I like the staking my PMOAKS does better, but yours is fine.

As far as staking the castle nut, get a spring-loaded center punch from a hardware store. They are usually about $8. Grind the tip down (I used a Dremel) so that it's rounded, and go to town staking the end plate into the castle nut indentations. Slow and steady is the key. With my center punch, I usually need 20-30 impacts to achieve one stake.

7. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne

Dec 5, 2009
    Loctite does nothing because when it heats up it loses it's effect.

8. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Yes,.....I know that. Tell ArmaLite......:dunno:

9. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    Leave well enough alone, check it when you clean. That should hold up for quite some time. Last thing you want is to deform the rails that run alongside the key...

10. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Not good enough. I had to stake the bolt carriers on both of my previous Stag builds. the bolt itself should be pushed in a bit from the metal on the carrier.
    Pat

11. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    That depends on what Loctite we're talking about. Some grades are damn near permanent and made to be heat resistant.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    The tougest I am aware of is Red and it will come loose with heat. A friend of mines Armalite started malfunctioning at match. Checked his rifle out and found the gas key loose. I tightened it down and used red locktight to finish the match. Later I staked it with my MOAKS tool. But Armalite had not staked his carrier key at all.
    Pat

13. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Don't they make a sleeve retainer for cylinder sleeves? If it will work in that application, I'd think it would work as a thread locker and wouldn't be affected by heat.

Might be wrong on that though, as I don't do engine rebuilds.

I have a compensator screwed onto a 1911 barrel that's held on with nothing but Loctite red, since 1988, through around 20k rounds, and it hasn't budged. It probably isn't subjected to the heat an AR carrier key gets, though.

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Not sure what a cleeve retainer is?
    Pat

15. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    The thread locker to use for these sorts of applications is Rocksett. It's a ceramic-based locker that's good to 2000F+. It's what AAC suggests for their flash hiders, comps, and QD mounts. You have to de-grease thoroughly before using it, but it is very good stuff.

16. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I have no idea what cleeve retainer is, either!

17. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Never heard of it before, but found it here: http://store.flexbar.com/merchant2/...duct_Code=15015&Category_Code=Adhesive-Cement

Looks like great stuff!