Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions about getting a motorcycle license

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by Genso, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. Genso

    Genso Millennium Member

    Sep 14, 1999
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I live by the beach and occasionally I think it would be fun to rent a speed bike or a moped for a weekend. What kind of training requirements are there in Florida to get a motor cycle license? Is it necessary to have a license to drive a moped?

    I want to go out of my way to learn how to be a safe operator before I get on a bike, but I would like to learn ASAP as I have some biker friends coming into town around New Years and I'd like to be licensed by then.
  2. eaglefrq

    eaglefrq NRA Member

    Oct 4, 2009
    The Twilight Zone
    Here is the link with the FL motorcycle requirements.

    Here is an excerpt from the same website on license's and mopeds:
    <table class="ddltext" border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="ddltext" valign="top" width="517"> Motorcycles: Any class license which includes a motorcycle endorsement. All first-time customers for a motorcycle endorsement must complete a department-approved Motorcycle Safety Education Course.
    Motorcycle Licensing Requirements - Minimum age 16
    Moped: Class E license or higher- motorcycle endorsement is not required. Note: Passengers under 16 years of age must wear approved protective headgear. A Moped tag is required. Personal Injury Protection insurance is not required.

    Scooters 50 cc or less: Class E License or higher - scooter must be street legal, (i.e., require proper operating equipment- brake lights, headlight, mirror etc. per S. 316 F.S., and tag, title and registration.

    Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before, (Size and how long ago)? What type of motorcycle are you looking for, (Sportbike or Cruiser)? What type of riding are you interested in, (Hit the twisties or laid back and enjoy)?

    I would highly recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider course that is available at most junior colleges. The course generally runs about $180, but you use their bikes so if you drop one, you aren't damaging your own. They generally use 250cc bikes since they are cheap, light and easy to ride.

    One of the biggest mistakes new riders make is being inexperienced and then trying to ride with more experienced riders. They tend to out ride their capabilities because they are trying to keep up and don't want to be embarrassed about how slow they ride. The #1 rule to remember is, "RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE" and enjoy.

    I am a huge ATGATT (All the gear all the time) rider and do not get on my bike without proper motorcycle attire. This is another thing to think about when looking at riding.

    Helmet (low end): ~$75
    Helmet (top end): ~$799
    Textile jacket (w/armor): ~$100 - $150
    Boots: ~$100 - $250 (Some people substitute work boots)
    Gloves ~$45 and up (Some people substitute leather work gloves)

    I'm not trying to dissuade you, but a lot of people don't think about the "incidental" costs associated with a motorcycle. Were you planning on renting gear or buying? Were you planning on wearing gear?

    Sorry for the long post, but I could continue with more questions. You can either PM or email me ( if you want more info or have any other questions.

  3. Mr. Blandings

    Mr. Blandings

    Jun 20, 2001
    What kind of training requirements are there in Florida to get a motor cycle license?

    Is it necessary to have a license to drive a moped?

    A driver license - YES.
    A motorcycle endorsement - Maybe, "If you wish to operate any two or three wheel motorcycle, whose engine is more than 50 cc, you are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license or a motorcycle-only license."
  4. black_sedan


    Feb 19, 2009
    I'd suggest taking one of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. If you take one of their classes you can get a voucher to get the Motorcycle endorsement added to your license at the DMV. They teach alot and you will get to learn on their bikes.

    If you are a first time rider, I highly recommend taking the course. It will be much easier taking the course if you dont have your own bike/moped to ride yet. Taking the test at the DMV requires you to do a riding test.

    If you just want to be legal to ride while your friends are in town, you can get a learner's license at the DMV. This just requires a written test and I think its only good for 60 days.
  5. Genso

    Genso Millennium Member

    Sep 14, 1999
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Guys, good info. It sounds like I should get the motorcycle endorsement on my regular D/L, for the most flexibility. And training with the MSF sounds like the way to go, especially since I don't have my own bike.
  6. seanarms


    Mar 26, 2006
    Central Florida
    Check with your local Harley dealer. They usually have new rider courses.