close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Questions about an older Springfield Custom Shop 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by deadite, Jul 12, 2010.

1. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I already e-mailed Bac about this one and he gave me the green light. :)

I'm getting ready to trade for an older Springfield Armory Custom Shop 1911. The guy is the second owner and doesn't know much about it besides that it shoots well. :) Here's a picture that he sent me:

[​IMG]

I called SA with the serial number of NM6615* and Vickie said that it was made and sent out in 1990 and that it was a Competition model #PC9401. She said that Deb was at Camp Perry and could tell me more if I called back in a week or so. I Googled the model # and "Distinguished Limited" came up. I don't know if that's an accurate name for the model or what.

Also, I heard that Les Baer was in charge of the Custom Shop back then. Is that correct?

Anyway, I had what he wanted and the trade should happen in a couple days. It comes with Bomar sights, what looks like a muzzle brake, 4 Ed Brown Mags and an optics mount that coincides with the holes in the frame. :)

Any information you may have or know would be appreciated!

deadite

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel

Apr 7, 2010
    I would be very leery of that pistol for a few reasons-the hammer, beavertail, slide stop have all been changed. I would demand a 3-day inspection at the very least. Sorry to rain on your parade. Who knows what else has been fiddled with?

3. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Thanks for the reply.

I sort of suspected the beavertail. I guess the slide stop doesn't really bother me, but you're right. No way to tell what else has been changed out.

deadite

4. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    looks like a good gun, but like the previous poster mentioned, i would also try to handle it before i purchased it and check some stuff

5. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I sent the guy an e-mail mentioning the updates to the gun, so we'll see what he says.

deadite

6. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    I had the not so custom version. It was called a "Springfield Factory Comp". It shot well. I got rid of it for no real reason. They are a pain to dissassemble, if it has the same bushing set up that mine had. I used to shoot bowling pins with it and some very hot loads.

7. deadite

deadite Groovy.

That's right. :)

deadite <<< who also lives in MI :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Ok, theoretical question.

Would you pay $950.00 for this or trade an equivilant valued gun knowing that it may have been modified? What if it still works great? Just trying to make a decision. I'm not sure what a custom Shop Springfield goes for.

Thanks!

deadite

9. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Personally...I wouldn't touch it for 9 bills unless I knew the whole life and history or it.

10. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've decided to skip this one and look for another nice 1911. :)

deadite

11. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

Jul 23, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I think you are making a good choice by skipping on this. It looks like the sear/disconnector pin is missing as well. May just be black though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  12. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I think you are making a wise choice. To much unknown, to much could be wrong.

13. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel

Apr 7, 2010
    No way those scope mount holes are factory either..sloppy..

14. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Yeah, I was worried I was getting "1911 fever", which I've had before, that blinds me to the imperfections of a gun. I debated just throwing caution to the wind and gambling on it. I've done that in the past and regretted it.

Also, there's a part of me that likes to tinker with my guns. I was imagining fixing the problems and maybe sending it back to the Custom Shop for some work, but not at the seller's price.

Plus, the two equivilant valued guns I was going to trade for it are in fantastic shape and I know I would have been kicking myself.

I haven't heard back from the guy, but I assume he's probably a little peeved at me for backing out. I was afraid that I would go and handle it in person and then feel pressure to take it even though I was having reservations.

Well, onward toward nicer 1911's. :)

deadite

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010