close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question to the Floridians regarding the CCW class.

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by U-phorik407, Jul 14, 2009.

1. U-phorik407

U-phorik407 'Night Michelle

Hey all,

Hoping I can get some questions answered from those who have taken the class. I am going to be taking the class relatively soon, but I want to know basically what to expect, and what should I bring, I've been to the range about 5 or 6 times now, however I have only been to the range once with my Glock, I'm still getting used to it from my Taurus. Basically I guess I want to know, what should I be expected to perform when I qualify, and do I need to purchase a Holster prior to taking the class. My plans are to purchase a IWB holster, but I've heard from other folks not in the FL. CC class that their instructors required OWB when using a Glock, Should I purchase an OWB for the class? I think those are my basic questions. Thanks in advance!

-Matt

2. Oldskoolfan

Oldskoolfan Stay Thirsty

You should call your instructor. They can tell you what they require.

3. gatorider

gatorider NRA Member

When I took the class back in January, No one was carrying in any type of holster. The instructor was the only person in the class with a weapon. Those of us bringing our own guns kept them locked in our autos. When we all went to the range, those of us using our own guns carried them in their cases or a shoulder/gym bag of some type. Being in a firearms class does not constitute being allowed to carry in any form. You're still unlicensed, and have to obey the law as such.

4. U-phorik407

Thanks Gatorider, I understand being unlicensed, I just did not know if a holster was required for drawing or not. I'll give them a call just to be 100% certain. Thanks.

5. LurkMastR

LurkMastR

As I understand it, there is no legal requirement for you to draw from a holster to qualify for your training certificate. When I took a CWL class a couple of years ago, the way it was explained was that you had to demonstrate a "proficiency" with the firearm, but it was pretty much left up to the instructor to determine what that meant. You should check with your instructor, but you may only be required to show that you can load the gun and pull the trigger.

6. njl

njl

Talk to the instructor. It all depends on the sort of class you're taking. A basic firearms safety class to satisfy the state's requirements for getting a carry permit won't require any holster.

If you're taking a more serious class that actually includes some "training", you may need a holster (and a bunch of ammo).

7. luscioman

luscioman

I am an instructor now and I assume the class is probably the NRA basic pistol class. It will teach you basic marksmanship and safe handeling. You will also get a CCW packet that has the FL Statutes on carrying. Talk to the instructor about what you need but you should not need a holster for the class.

8. nbk9fmr

nbk9fmr

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccooperke%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well the class in Florida is a "joke" What we had to do is listen for 3 hours on the do’s and don’ts on CC and shoot one shot down range, its scary that anyone with little to no experiences can get a licenses to carry.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Please do not take this the wrong way but there were 2 60-70 year old ladies in the class that could not even hold a small 32 without shaking and the state of <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state> will issue them a licenses.

I do not want to be within a 2 mile area if they have to pull and shoot. I think if you allow them to carry a gun they need more training than just 3 hours in a class room.

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

My co-worker was talking to me about how surprised she was at the gun show with all these people women and men buying these little .22 and .25 caliber carry guns. I told her if they are not going to practice some it is probably a decent choice for themselves and the general public (innocent bystanders). It is just a tool. Buying a hammer does not make you a carpenter or improve you ability to use the hammer just by mere possession of it.

10. U-phorik407

Maybe they were picking up the small calibers because ammo's so darn expensive. lol Who knows, I figure I'm going to call my local range this week and figure it all out for the CC class and schedule to take it, no time like the present especially with the backlog in application processing.:crying:

BTW, Thanks for all the responses, it's appreciated!

11. glockpacker

glockpacker 600 yd shooter CLM

"THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

I can't find any requirement for training in that right.

12. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

What glockpacker said.

Many states that issue CC licenses/permits require NO training, and the body count isn't exactly mounting.

Do I think folks who choose to carry a firearm should be trained? Absolutely. Do I think it ought to be .gov mandated? Absolutely not.

13. U-phorik407

I agree with you guys, but I'd like to go through the necessary training and paperwork to be sure I don't get in any trouble down the road. lol, thanks for all your help everyone, I'm going to call them on Monday to see what's necessary to set up a day for the class, I want to take it and get it over with especially with the wait times of over the legal 90 days... :shocked:

14. neonhomer

neonhomer

When I took my class, it was a split day. 2 hours in class, and 2 hours on the range. In class we went over the basics of handling a gun, its parts and functions.

On the range, we had to fire 10 shots. First 5 were single shot (had to load a single round into the magazine/cylinder each time). Second 5 were at once (load 5 rounds into magazine/cylinder). IIRC, the spec is 10" group at 7 yrds. Our instructor was doing 9" groups at 7 yrds.

After that was said and done, we got our certificates.

Then comes the fun part... you get to wait 120 days for a license that is supposed to take 90 days from door to door.

15. U-phorik407

LOL Yes, less than thrilled about the 120 day wait... but I'll be happy to get the class over and done with. I'm going to take the class on the 1st. Just down the road from my house which is nice, I'm excited! Thanks for the help everyone!

16. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Have fun with the class, Matt, and good luck with the application. :thumbsup:

17. U-phorik407

Thanks, how bad is the application? I'm assuming its quite long considering the discussions of problems had by others.

18. nbk9fmr

nbk9fmr

WOW cant believe you went there, I understand what you have quoted but you can stand next the guy I was standing by at the range that fired one shot and then looked down the barrel of the gun and the pointed down range again and fired another shot. I am not saying you must attend a 40 hour training only do something more than fire one shot and hand the gun back to the instructor. You learn nothing in the training classes because they are not saying the same thing in every class there is no book that is handed out, there is not instructions on handling the firearm. I have been to 2 class (first one my class and the second on I sat in with a friend) and both taught different.

19. nbk9fmr

nbk9fmr

So with that said the gov. should not mandate training for driving a car too. Just attend this 3 hour class on the laws and here is your licenses, try not to kill anyone.

20. njl

njl

For better or worse, the Bill of Rights covers "Arms", but does not mention cars.