close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on range etiquette

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Phantom465, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Phantom465

Phantom465

So I was thinking about this last time I was at the range. When I’m done shooting, I leave my empty brass on the floor. I do not reload. I figure that there will be someone who comes after me who does reload, and would be happy to get some free brass.

Just wondering what everyone else does. Do you sweep it up? Leave it behind for the next shooter?

2. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

Our local range (outdoor) the ground is so covered in brass it doesn't seem like a big deal at this point. I don't reload either so we let ours hit the ground and stay there.

3. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Sweep it up and put it in the bin with the rest of them. I SHOULD just keep them for when I start to reload innthe future but I don't .

4. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

I sweep it just because I think brass everywhere on the ground could be a potential hazard. If nothing, I just don't like leaving my area a mess after I'm done.

5. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Range rules where I shoot is clean up your own mess.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

The one indoor range I visit asks to clean it up, too.

7. BradD

BradD

Leave the place at least as clean as it was when I get there. If I wanted people to have a shot at the brass, I'd put it in a can and sit it in the corner or on a table.

Edit: at every range I've used, the rule was to clean up.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Same rules apply at my range. It's a safety thing. Brass can be slippery when stepped on.

9. k9medic

k9medic

The range I go to asks you to leave it there on the floor. They collect it and reload and sell the reloads to make a small profit for the range.

There's no cost to use this range and the people who do the reloading do it voluntarily.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. TK-421

TK-421

My range is outdoors and says that once it hits the ground, it's there's, and you're to leave it alone, unless you marked it or know for sure it's your's. You're not allowed to pick up any brass that doesn't belong to you, but you're free to leave it where it lies if you want. They say they pick up brass and sell it, to help make money for the range. But I think that's a load of bull. The place is so littered with brass that I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't picked up a single piece of brass in the last five years or so.

I personally just leave it alone because it's covered, so the brass hits the roof and flies everywhere, it would be a pain in the butt to try and find every piece of brass. And laying a tarp down isn't an option, because the brass flies everywhere. The only way to police your brass would be to get one of those catchers that attaches to the frame and directly covers the ejection port, so that it goes immediately into the catcher, instead of flying through the air.

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

If I am lucky enough to be the only one there or can get far enough away, I pick mine up and keep it. Last time I was there my 27 was throwing brass so far away that it was in another guys area, so I packed up and left.

My other range sweeps as people shoot.

12. Andy W

Andy W

The outdoor range I sometimes go to doesn't allow you to pick up brass or even "bend down" on his range. Do it, and an employee will yell at you to stop. Keep doing it and you'll probably get thrown out. It's obstensibly for safety reasons but the real reason is probably because the owner wants to keep the brass and reload it. The other day I had to pay $18 for a box of S&B 9mm from this range because I ran out of ammo and still wanted to shoot. That's ridiculous. I paid it though so I can't ***** too much. If I buy his overpriced ammo I should at least be able to collect the brass if I want. When I bought the ammo, I paid for the cases too, Not just the powder, bullets and primers lol. That would be an interesting small claims court case.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Sweep it up, unless there's a sign that says not to. :grouphug:

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I buy cleaned Rem 9mm brass for $15 for 250 and clean up every one of my cases I can find. I'm grateful for people who leave brass on the ground, I picked up nearly a full 50 rounds of Speer .45 ACP during the summer after a guy with a new Kimber left his. It is all cleaned and reloaded and sitting in the bottom of the range box now.

15. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

range i go to has containers, broom and dustpan to sweep up brass. most people don't clean up after themselves. Everytime i am there i do my best to pick up all my brass and place it in the proper bucket.

16. TK-421

TK-421

Would they complain if you put one of those brass catchers on your firearm that catch the brass a net as soon as it leaves the chamber?

17. Halojumper

Halojumper

The rule at both clubs I belong to is clean up your own brass. However, when I shoot at a commercial range, I either pick it up for myself or just leave it on the floor for them. The place I was at last has you just keep kicking it out in front of the firing line. I assume the staff collects it after they close.

18. Andy W

Andy W

I have no idea. By the way I don't think I would actually take him to small claims court over it but it's funny to think about. If I were rich and had nothing to do, maybe but I'm soon to be a grad student so I don't have time for that stuff, not to mention money. :tongueout:

19. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

It depends on the range I go to. One range has brooms and dustpans to sweep up the brass. Another range I go to wants you to leave the brass on the ground so they can collect it. You are allowed to keep yours, but you aren't supposed to pick up brass that isn't yours.

20. Andy W

Andy W

The gun club/indoor range my dad and I were members of expected you to sweep up your own brass and either take it home or throw it in the brass barrel. You also periodically swept the range area if you were the only one there and it needed it. It was a pretty cool place. Members also volunteered to do maintenance and renovations on the building to keep costs down.