close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Question on police creds...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tilley, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    A friend of mine was recently hired as a police officer with a department that still does not allow off duty CCW as a matter of policy. They issue an employee ID of the police department, but it does not say "Police Officer" on it.

Isn't there some kind of federal law that states a police officer must carry police creds with them on duty in case a good citizen requests to see the officer's id to verify he's the real deal and not an imposter?

2. Sharkey

Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    To answer your question: No.

What dept. are you referring to?

3. That's an agency begging for a legitimate lawsuit.

4. In addition to each agency issuing their own employee ID, each State should also issue a LE ID to every LEO in the state, so that all the LEOs from that state have the same ID. Like a statewide DL. Everyone knows what they look like.

5. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Are you sure your friend is an officer vs. a police dept employee?

This sounds a little weird if he is a sworn officer.

6. South Carolina you get a department I.D. and if you are sworn officer you also receive a comission card from the state. Jailer I.D. if your a Jailer dispatch same deal.

Unless the person is waiting to go to the academy.

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Here you'd just check the person's MCOLES number. It can be a pain sometimes, but if you're issued one, you're legit.

8. dano1427

dano1427

Jan 3, 2001
    Not in Cali. Only an Agency issues I.D.

9. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    This story does not make sense.

There seems to be elements that are being omitted by the O.P..

Perhaps his "friend" lied to him as to his position with the department.

edit: Perhaps the department requires Academy graduation before being allowed to carry.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  10. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I have to agree with this. I have never heard of a cop getting issued an ID that didn't say he/she is a cop.

The main reason is to identify cops to other cops. Cops get badges and gear stolen, but it's kind of hard to fake a picture ID card.

11. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Jun 8, 2007
    Washington
    Has he been to the academy? Is he sworn in yet? or commissioned?

If the answer is no, then he isn't a police officer yet. Thus he will not have an ID that says police officer until he is actually finished with the academy and sworn in. The same applies with the ability to carry off duty. Most departments won't cover you to carry off duty until he finishes.

12. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Well what does it say? It has to have some sort of title on it, that is the purpose of an ID card.

13. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

May 31, 2005
    Florida
    I dunno about this one. Sounds weird, but there is a police agency very close to my home that issues ID, but their policy for off duty carry is "no badge and no gun." You have to have a concealed carry permit, and you must act as any other CCW holder.

14. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    My money is on some sort of specialized law enforcement.

15. Out of curosity, wouldn't state law trump their policy if push came to shove?

Here in WV and I would think most places, your authority is granted by the state. (as well as your right to carry off duty) Sure, you work for what ever department, but your powers are granted under state law and don't go away just because you're off duty. I would think that would supercede some crazy policy.

16. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Not in WI. I just have my dept. ID. It has my name, rank, photo (in uniform), badge number, department, and chief's signature with a phone number to call to verify.

17. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

May 31, 2005
    Florida

No idea, and to my knowledge, it hasn't been challenged here.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

Here in Florida the Statute reads "All persons holding active certifications from CJSTC as law enforcement officers.. shall have the right to carry ... at the discretion of their superior officers..." FSS 790.052

I agree a bit more information is needed regarding the original inquiry.

19. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    we have a dept. ID that says police officer and a state license that has our picture/name/dept etc. I find it very odd they cant carry off-duty...

20. GoldDot40

GoldDot40

Jul 29, 2010
    If my dept didn't allow off duty carry, I would be finding another department to work for. As for my ID card, it says SHERIFF very large on it with my rank and picture.