close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Question on Gun Grease

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by obiestreasures, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Was wondering about using grease on the AR Bolt. So far on all my glocks and the AR15 I have been using CLP and been wondering about using a good gun grease on the bolt on the AR and on the glock using it on the rails. There are a ton of brands of grease out there and some are using auto bearing grease on there weapons. After looking around I saw a bunch of good reviews on a grease called "Tera Gun Grease". which is carried by Midway U.S.A. and Cheaper than Dirt and Lonewolf and other web sites...So whats your thoughts on using grease on these moving parts and what brand of grease are you using ?
    I've been using CLP on all my weapons for years now and have never had any problems with them.

Thanks
    Ron

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    A "little" grease where metal rubs on metal can't hurt anything.
    Remember, a little goes a long way. Putting just a smear of it on with
    your finger is plenty.

Tetra Gun Grease is good stuff.

I've been using Hoppe's 9 and BreakFree CLP on all my firearms since the
    mid 1970s with no problems.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. mstennes

mstennes

Nov 25, 2010
    Break Free or in pinch I have used teflon wheel bearing grease. As said above a little goes along way

5. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    The type of lubricant used is less important that keeping your rifle properly lubed. I don’t use grease in AR’s but some people do. There’s nothing wrong with synthetic motor oil. If it’ll lube your engine, it’ll lube your gun.

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    After losing a big match on the first stage because of solidified grease on a cold morning, my love affair with the stuff is over. Machine oil for gunz for me from now on.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I normally use only MiliTech 1 oil.
    If I use grease, like on my Garand, I use Mil-Comm TW-25b

8. SigPro2022

SigPro2022

May 15, 2007
    Oregon
    This. It works good, and stays put.

9. GenoTac Ind.

GenoTac Ind. |KYDEX GEAR>

Jun 22, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Mobile 1 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I use the stabilizer to thicken the oil and keep from getting run offs and dry offs. Been using it on all my guns and they are never "dry".

10. Suburban

Suburban

Mar 8, 2003
    PA
    I think this is true.

I'm sure the Slip 2000 stuff is great, but it's like $50/pint. No thanks. TW-25 is even crazier at $80/pint. If KY, Vagisil, sun tan lotion, and butter work, I guess all else is equal, and I'll just use $4/pound bearing grease or motor oil. If I could write the stuff off as a business expense, or I was "getting comped," that might be a different matter.

I've had CLP either run off or evaporate, which seems to lead to problems. I use it sometimes as a rust preventive, but really don't use it much anymore. I think it sucks as a cleaning solvent, so I stopped using it for that a long time ago.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. I use leftover synthetic motor oil from changing the oil in my car or bike. Usually it's Redline or Royal Purple. I also run my AR fairly wet. Back when I was getting paid to shoot for a living we ran our '16's really wet and never had issues, plus they were lots easier to clean at the end of the day as stuff tended not to cake up and bake on.

Just my nickel's worth.

12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  13. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
  14. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    Personally, the only place I put grease on an AR is where the cam pin contacts the cam in the bolt carrier. Usually Shooter's Choice.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    Another vote for synthetic motor oils like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. One very nice attribute to using them is that they make cleaning easier, due to their high level of detergents and anti-carbon properties. Not to mention they lube just as good as anything else out there.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Try this,........works VERY well.

-Lizzard Snot
    12 ounces Mobil 1 10W30
    8 ounces synthetic ATF
    8 ounces Marvel Mystery Oil
    4 ounces STP engine treatment
    4 ounces Kano Kroil

17. ezterra

ezterra

Mar 2, 2005
    Eglin AFB, FL
    Slip 2000. Use it on all my weapons now. It worked awesome for my M4 and M240B in Iraq. Kept my weapons lubed but didn't attract dust like CLP did. It's awesome stuff.

18. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    For some reason when I saw this thread I kept thinking it said "Question on Grease Guns" and I was just thinking, why would someone post a question about Grease Guns in the BRC? lol

19. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Anyone use Gun Butter? Just discovered the stuff and read special section of how to lube ARs with it...