Glock Talk banner

Question on Blue Dot and 147 gr Berrys Bullets

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ilgunguygt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I only have some blue dot left and wanted to try and reload some 9mm before a range trip tomorrow. I am using berrys bullets and they are only copper plated. Of the manuals I have, I can only find info on HP and such with blue dot, no fmj or copper plated. If anyone has experience with a decent starting/max load for this it would be greatly appreciated. It seems like a rough starting place might be around 5.4 gr of so, but i'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks

#2 ·
Hey guys, I only have some blue dot left and wanted to try and reload some 9mm before a range trip tomorrow. I am using berrys bullets and they are only copper plated. Of the manuals I have, I can only find info on HP and such with blue dot, no fmj or copper plated. If anyone has experience with a decent starting/max load for this it would be greatly appreciated. It seems like a rough starting place might be around 5.4 gr of so, but i'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks
Alliant lists 147 gr GDHP at 5.8gr, so I think 5.3 or so would be a good starting load to try. Plated load somewhere in the middle of lead and jacketed data, but I also know guys that get as much velocity as 9mm is capable of with plated without any problems at all.

#3 ·
Ya if I cant find plated data I usually go starting to mid FMJ loads. Ill prob give around 5.3 a try then. Is there any difference with hollowpoint specs compared to fmj? So what im trying to say if I can only find hollowpoint load data, and im looking for plated data, would it usually be safe to use start to mid loads of the hollowpoints load?

#5 · (Edited)
Is there any difference with hollowpoint specs compared to fmj? So what im trying to say if I can only find hollowpoint load data, and im looking for plated data, would it usually be safe to use start to mid loads of the hollowpoints load?
Hollow-point is a bullet shape therefore it can be lead, plated, or fmj. What's more important is that you use load data for the same weight bullet you plan to use, then find an OAL for the same weight and bullet shape.

I had the same problem when I first stated reloading; searched for [published] plated load data when all there was to be found was lead or FMJ. The chart that came with my Lee 9mm dies actually had a few loads on them for plated bullets, but not for the powder I was using so that wasn't much help.

I have no experience with Berry's 147g, but I have loaded their 124g FP to Alliant's max loads (6.4 power pistol) without any issues. Seeing as you're using 147g bullets, you won't be pushing them nearly as fast as I am and should be fine using max 147g FMJ loads. However, you should always work up your load.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Hollow-point is a bullet shape therefore it can be lead, plated, or fmj. What's more important is that you use load data for the same weight bullet you plan to use, then find an OAL for the same weight and bullet shape.

I had the same problem when I first stated reloading; searched for [published] plated load data when all there was to be found was lead or FMJ. The chart that came with my Lee 9mm dies actually had a few loads on them for plated bullets, but not for the powder I was using so that wasn't much help.

I have no experience with Berry's 147g, but I have loaded their 124g FP to Alliant's max loads (6.4 power pistol) without any issues. Seeing as you're using 147g bullets, you won't be pushing them nearly as fast as I am and should be fine using max 147g FMJ loads. However, you should always work up your load.

Good luck!
He is talking about JHP data and wondering on overall length I am sure. OP you can follow the standard rule of using your pistol barrel as a case gauge for max OAL, then shorten a hair, and make sure it fits and feeds out of your magazines. You should be morethan safe, especially starting with a mid range load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.