close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question need help

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gumdokid, Dec 18, 2010.

1. gumdokid

gumdokid
    Expand Collapse
    the karate kid

what is the best fishing line for multi purpose. doing a lot of steel head fishing right now. the in the warmer months i fish for bass, cat fish and some lake fishing. any help is much appreciated.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

In general I try to use the lightest & thinnest line that will work. For light panfish I'm at 4 lbs usually, lighter yet would work. How about something in the 12 lb range? or even a little less? The steelhead with the current & all could be the most difficult. In calm water with the line in good shape(not all nicked up) & using the proper techniques one can 'play' the fish to get it in. I am a believer that thin 'invisible' line leads to more strikes.

3. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

You line has to match your game ( the fish ) and the rod ( UL, Lite, heavy,etc...) and lastly the lure.

I use 4lb for panfish with my ultralight but 6-8lb with my carbon rods for hunting bass and peacocks. I haven't found one line or rod that's good for ALL fishes. Since fishes are picky about tenstion, weight and assortment of other issues.

4. ctaggart

ctaggart
    Expand Collapse

If you're fishing for steelhead up in the Erie tributaries you may want to tie on a fleurocarbon leader. The steelhead are pretty spooky and won't go near thicker lines that they can see. Try 4lb fleurocarbon for the steelies. Here's a link for the fishing reports. Here's a link to a good website for fishing conditions at Erie.

http://www.fisherie.com/Reports.asp

Have you thought about buying a couple spools for your reel and just putting some different lines on them?

5. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

Berkleys big game 20 lb line, I really like this line