close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

question need help

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gumdokid, Dec 18, 2010.

1. gumdokid

gumdokid the karate kid

Dec 14, 2006
    what is the best fishing line for multi purpose. doing a lot of steel head fishing right now. the in the warmer months i fish for bass, cat fish and some lake fishing. any help is much appreciated.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    In general I try to use the lightest & thinnest line that will work. For light panfish I'm at 4 lbs usually, lighter yet would work. How about something in the 12 lb range? or even a little less? The steelhead with the current & all could be the most difficult. In calm water with the line in good shape(not all nicked up) & using the proper techniques one can 'play' the fish to get it in. I am a believer that thin 'invisible' line leads to more strikes.

3. You line has to match your game ( the fish ) and the rod ( UL, Lite, heavy,etc...) and lastly the lure.

I use 4lb for panfish with my ultralight but 6-8lb with my carbon rods for hunting bass and peacocks. I haven't found one line or rod that's good for ALL fishes. Since fishes are picky about tenstion, weight and assortment of other issues.

4. ctaggart

ctaggart

Dec 4, 2007
    If you're fishing for steelhead up in the Erie tributaries you may want to tie on a fleurocarbon leader. The steelhead are pretty spooky and won't go near thicker lines that they can see. Try 4lb fleurocarbon for the steelies. Here's a link for the fishing reports. Here's a link to a good website for fishing conditions at Erie.

http://www.fisherie.com/Reports.asp

Have you thought about buying a couple spools for your reel and just putting some different lines on them?

5. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Berkleys big game 20 lb line, I really like this line