Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

question guys..

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by theTactician, Feb 25, 2010.

  1. im moving from california to illinois and im goin to bring my guns. do i need to register my gun to the municipality where i am going to reside at? i already have a foid card.
  2. 05FLHT


    Nov 6, 2009
    NW Illinois
    Where are you moving to? You might have a problem in Chicago, Oak Park or Aurora (off the top of my head).

    You can check the ISP website here -

    Although, it may not be accurate or up to date. Your best bet is to double check with the municipality you plan on moving to? If by chance you are moving to Chicago, you may want to check out NW Indiana.

  3. JWS755


    Jan 30, 2007
    Once you know your address, you can apply for your FOID with the Illinois State Police. Its no big deal, but they get all worked up if you dont have that card. I believe theres a limit to how long they give you to get it, but its required in the state to buy guns or ammo, or possess either.

    Most every city has abandoned the strict requirements, but chicago is impossible to bring in any handguns unless youre a LEO. Aurora has some limits I think, but other than the Cook County Assault (ahem) ban, you should be fine. Let us know the city and we can help you more.
  4. MakeMineA10mm

    MakeMineA10mm * * * * Millennium Member Lifetime Member

    Feb 13, 1999
    Central Illinois
    They recently changed the FOID statute and now they use your Driver's License (or ID card) photo for your FOID photo. SO, since you have to get an IL Driver's License when you move to this state, I'd suggest applying for the FOID after you get the DL. There is a law that you have to get your DL (and license plates) within a few weeks of moving (I think 6, but maybe isp could chime in here with the exact time-frame).
  5. volsbear

    volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

    Nov 8, 2007
    Read the OP's post, guys. He already has a FOID. Sounds like he'll have to get on ISP's website and change the address on it, though. I assume the OP lived her previously.

    OP - the state does not require firearms registration. It would be helpful (to answer your question) if you told us which municipality? You should be fine as long as you stay out of Chicago.