close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for you regarding sights on 1911s

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CDR_Glock, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock
    Expand Collapse

What is the standard configuration for 1911 sights on a production or custom/semi custom? Is it POA/POI or 6:00?

I was just curious. It might be the shooter, then.[​IMG]. I was consistently hitting POA/POI rather than 6:00 on my pistol. Again, I will shoot this afternoon. Maybe, it's just about getting used to the sights which are different from my others.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

all my 1911s are center hold.

perhaps you've shot glocks too much so you naturally shoot those high? :D

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock
    Expand Collapse

Well, my Ed Brown, Mars T.H.U.G., Detonics Combat Master, and even the Coonan 357 Magnum 1911 all shoot at a 6:00 hold.

The pistol I was referring to is my Guncrafter No Name:

I'm very consistent with it up close and out to 25 yards. It does appear to hit POA/POI as opposed to the 6:00 position. The sights are Trijicon with a thin blade in front, and a fixed rear sight with a single tritium dot in back. I literally have to cover the target with my front sight to hit the bulls eye. Because the front sight is narrower I can still see the target, though. Anyways, it's consistently POA/POI, and I'm not wrist breaking or pushing forward. In fact, I took the T.H.U.G. and Ed Brown alternating with the Guncrafter. The other two 1911s were 6:00 whereas the Guncrafter was like I described. Anyways, I just emailed the person who ordered it from them so see if that is how he intended it to shoot. I have no problem buying a new sight to get a 6:00 hold.

I just returned from the range today shooting 50 rounds, same effect, as yesterday. Maybe I'll shoot tomorrow, too, after I hear back from the one who sold it to me. As for groups, it's tight. Reliability is too soon to assess but so far, no misfeeds. Runs like a Glock in terms of shooting. I don't know how many rounds ran through it, but I can say from the looks inside, nothing more than 200 rounds.

4. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

dunno man, I've got Colt, Kimber, Sig, Auto Ord, Rock Island, all are center.

You could always get a new F sight if it bugs you. If I had any gun that shot 6 O'clock I'd get buy a new sight.

5. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Up tp the manufacturer but I prefer for the POI to be right on top of the sights at 25 yds with a 1911. It is kind of a "constant" i have learned to work around without any mental gymnastics.

6. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock
    Expand Collapse

That's how the rest of my pistols point.

The guy I bought it from just told me, he had the same experience. I realized it when I was aiming for the ShootNSee and it was low, from the 25 yard mark. I was like, "What?". I adjusted accordingly, and realized how it was sighting. I brought it in to 7 yards, and this confirmed my suspicion. It IS faster getting onto target knowing how it operates, now.

Don't get me wrong. I love this gun. Great size for concealment, looks awesome and is on its way to be flawless.

7. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

what he just said is POI, not 6oclock

8. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

unless I'm reading what your'e saying wrong.

[​IMG]
    6:00 on the left, Center hold in the center

9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that illustration. You are correct, Sir.

My pistols are set up for illustration 2 and the newest is configured like illustration 3.

10. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

Ok so I completely misunderstood what you were saying.

My bad, pictures work so much better