Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Question for you Atheists...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Tilley, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    I'm sure most of you have experienced first hand the death of a close loved one. Throw away for a moment, your beliefs in science, or your lack of belief in God...

Do you really believe that death is the final act of a human life? All of what comprises of that special person, their joy and laughter, their triumphs and emotions, all the things that are NOT tangible in a physical way...if that is all erased upon the moment of death?

Norske started to express the fact that even as a staunch atheist, even he could tell a physical/spiritual difference and loss to a person at the moment of death.

I have seen it many times. What was once a life becomes a lifeless shell, a doll tossed away, empty. And yet I can still feel the presence of that person at certain times and without explanation.

"For love knows not its own depth, until the hour of separation..." Kahlil Gibran.

Do you really believe it's the end?
  2. Yup. And I'm fine with it

3. Uzzirider

Oct 10, 2001
    The Desert
    I'm fine with it too. Enjoyment and fulfillment of the current life does not come from mental ************ (word that means "to stimulate oneself" wow, puritanical word filters sure are touchy.) about the potential afterlife.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. Yes, I fully accept that I will never be reunited with those that pass away. They live on in memories and the legacies that they created.
  5. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    Yep. I watched both my parents die. When their brains died, their personalities vanished. The only things left were our memories of them and the physical things they’d left behind.

No question there’s a physical difference. The person has died, after all.
    There’s an emotional loss, obviously, and that may feel like something spiritual to some people.
  6. ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    Yes, it's really the end. That doesn't mean the memory is erased.
  7. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Sep 30, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes also, respectfully to the OP...
  8. A lot of people are afraid of death and use religion to hide from it. As a child I was afraid of death but I outgrew it. Unfortunately, for them, some people never do. As Christopher Hitchens said, “It is wrong to tell children and gullible adults that the dead walk”. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will continue to believe that death is final.
  9. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    Come on man, George Carlin is a ****** bag comedian (and I use the word comedian graciously) doing a comedy skit. He's about as funny as Galagher, and about as profound as Pee Wee Herman.

This is a serious question. Do you believe you cease to exist at the moment of death.
  10. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    Bro, even animals know when their masters die, and they mourn. They is something more there than the cessation of life.
  11. AlexHassin

Dec 15, 2010
    That a dog can sense if something is dead or alive does not surprise me at all. Humans can to an extent to, sometimes you just walk up to a sean and you know they are a goner. We might even smell different to the dog, you know that dead smell. Our hearts stop and our brains die, I don’t see anything else happening.
  12. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Sep 1, 2005
    NW IN
    Yes sir. It's all over. That feeling you feel is your own memories and emotions. They are powerful and wonderful.
  13. bleedingshrimp

May 7, 2008
    Keep holding out for that ice cream you were promised...I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this steak in the meanwhile.
  14. nmk

Apr 25, 2007
    The part in bold is confusing. And to answer your question...of course.
  15. Tapeuup

Nov 1, 2006
    B'ham, AL
    really believe it's the end
  16. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    So you believe that the same laws of physics applies to energy that cannot be measured?

Do you also believe that matter can be created?

Can gold be created from lead?
  17. Not philosophy but Christ.