close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Question for Ohio cops

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Dukeboy01, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    I'm going ahead and posting this here instead of Political Issues because I'm looking for insight from Ohio po-pos and maybe firefighters too.

In last night's election, do you think Romney's vote margin was reduced among first responders due to the actions of the state Republican party in pushing Senate Bill 5 through last year?

In my experience, most cops around here are very conservative in their politics and regularly vote GOP, even if the union has endorsed a Democrat. (Heck, I routinely do myself.) However, a concerted effort by the GOP to attack our collective bargaining rights would probably result in a bunch of our guys staying home, even if they wouldn't pull the lever for the Dems.

I know Obummer's margin of victory in Ohio was high enough that a failure for a single subgroup of usual reliable GOP voters to turn out wasn't enough to cost Romney the state. I'm just curious about any anecdotes some of you might have.

2. CincyLawman

CincyLawman Millennium Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Yes. It absolutely played a part. Republicans in Ohio declared war against its public servants (police, fire, and teachers) two years ago and it has not been forgotten.

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Amongst my coworkers, there were very few Obama supporters, one that I can think of that openly supported him. It is of course entirely possible that many simply did not discuss it openly because we work for an elected official of the opposite party.

Brown won the senate race with a statistical landslide 53% to Mandel's 42%. Brown has always been a union guy; whereas Mandel stated he was opposed to the auto manufacturer bailout making a double insult to the unions with the SB2/SB5 debacle.

I might also add Mandel received over $22 million in outside spending, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Brown received over $14 million in outside help.

Mandel also received huge support from PAC's (11.6 million in ads) which just goes to show how solid the union vote against him was IMHO.

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Pretty much this.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    it would make too much sense to vote for romney for president but vote against republicans for state office. the straight party line is easier to tow when you dont have to think.

6. CincyLawman

CincyLawman Millennium Member

Feb 11, 1999
  7. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    That's how I voted you condescending prick, but thanks for greatly oversimplifying an incredibly complex and difficult decision process for us conservative public servants in Ohio.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    I couldn't in good conscience vote for a man who would take my livelihood from me.

Neither could plenty of my coworkers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    That was the sticking point for me, but at the last minute I bowed to my conservative innards and kept thinking of the (un fact checked) anecdote that Romney supposedly has a better bipartisan record. But then I considered that I blame the republicans in congress more than Obama for the utter lack of bipartisan cooperation. I'm not kidding, I spent probably 10 minutes staring at my ballot. I didn't feel totally good about my vote, but I wouldn't have felt good either way.

I'm definitely glad Mandel lost, he seemed even more slimy than most politicians, and damn was I tired of hearing about his military record, he was tossing that around way too much.

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    quit your crying...not enough of you did what you say you did and once again ohio carried obama's water.

11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Cool man

12. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Yep, all on Ohio.. :upeyes:

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    not quite.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    So you're ok with what Obama is doing to the entire country? Staying home was a de facto vote for Obama.

Senate Bill 5 is nothing compared to what is coming eventually. But hey, no one is willing to endure even a little pain to do what is right, so instead the entire system is headed for collapse.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  15. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    System? :rofl:

16. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    That's laughable at best. You buy into the hype for no reason, I'm my defending the man one bit but I refuse to vote for a man who would take food out of my family's mouth.

17. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Senate Bill 5 was more than a little painful. It was also tactically stupid in a state as heavily unionized as Ohio is. Wisconsin showed them the way forward, but ideology trumped political savvy.

18. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    OH
    Neighbor is a Union county worker. Always voted republican. He told me he was voting for Obama and the Dem. Governor Brown.
    I told him I was shocked he just doesnt care and wont hear it about Gun control, I tried he would just says there all dirty.
    Also have a Niece and her husband voted for Obama and they are shooters too. Im the guy they turn to for gun advice or repairs.
    Now I will charge them tripple price.

19. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I love all these people outside Ohio acting as if they know what SB5 was like for us..

I still shake my head at all those paranoid about Obama gun control. Mitt Romney made opressive Massachusetts gun laws even worse during his tenure as governor, why does everyone gloss over that fact?

20. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Nothin happened the first four years.

God willing ill sit here and say I told you so in 2016.