Question for LEOs.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RyanBDawg, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey I had a quick problem that I am hoping an officer could help me with. I was driving back home tonight after watching a basketball game at a buddies place.

As I was slowing down to turn (with my blinker on) I see a cop pulling me over. The speed limit was between like 30-35. I'm sure I was going approximately this speed as I was slowing down to turn. (It was also raining which also caused me to drive slower.)

The cop comes to my door I give him my license, insurance etc.

He then comes back and tells me that I was driving "carelessly". I ask him to tell me specifically what I had done and asked if I was speeding.

He refused to tell me the specifics of why he pulled me over, and refused to tell me how fast I was going as he did not have my speed on radar.

He took my license and gave me a ticket. The ticket simply has slashes where my speed and the speed limit were supposed to go..

My court date is March 6 and I want to contest this BS.

I know he is simply doing this for the money as he was sure to point out where I could pay online or by phone.

Any advice on what I should do?

The passenger with me was just as perplexed as to why he had pulled me over, especially since he refused to tell me how fast he thought I was going..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 RyanBDawg, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Random question for Texas LEOs... Cop Talk Feb 19, 2015
    a few questions for the LEOs? Cop Talk Dec 31, 2014
    Texas LEOSA Question Cop Talk Nov 2, 2014
    LEOSA question Cop Talk Jun 2, 2014
    Some questions for the traffic patrol LEOs Cop Talk Feb 28, 2014

3. The above emphasized points will just get you a metric **** ton of officers on your side. Good luck in court! :supergrin:

Oh, and before you go opening your mouth and removing all doubt as to what you are, you might want to read Eric's sticky about why this forum is here. It pretty speicifically mentions your situation. I'll even do you the favor of posting the link:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622412

See? We're not ALL bad, are we? :wavey:

#2 msu_grad_121, Feb 7, 2013
  4. If you don't agree with it take it to court. I don't know of a single officer that writes tickets for the money. That is not how we work. The officer saw a violation and decided to write you a ticket.

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

6. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Let us know how your court date goes.

7. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

There seems to be some particulars missing from your statement. Perhaps you should consult an attorney.

#6 razdog76, Feb 7, 2013
  8. Like what?

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

You never stated what you were cited for, only that hash marks were where the speed was, so... :dunno:

I suggest you contest it.

Additionally, refer to the post made by Eric in my previous post with the boldfaced parts.

#8 razdog76, Feb 7, 2013
  10. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

Post a photo of the ticket.

11. "Careless driving" is the only boxed checked on the ticket.

#10 RyanBDawg, Feb 7, 2013
  12. Well that answered that, didn't it?

See how we did it?!

#11 msu_grad_121, Feb 7, 2013
  13. Okay, I'm not a cop, so I'm not going to offer any advice, but I was wondering if there might be an answer in what you posted:

You said you were believed you were going approximately this speed BECAUSE you were slowing down to turn. This reads to me like you were going FASTER than that before you began to slow down.

I would just say I read something wrong, but you stated the same thing twice, that you were already slowing for the turn, then stated that you were approximately at the speed limit.

Also, if 35 is the speed limit and it's raining, even if you're going 30, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong - in general, without specific jurisdiction stuff) you can still be cited for too fast for conditions.

14. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

As said, you got a ticket for CARELESS DRIVING.
    --------------------------------

SEC. 63-3-1213. Careless driving

Any person who drives any vehicle in a careless or imprudent manner, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corner, traffic and use of the streets and highways and all other attendant circumstances is guilty of careless driving. Careless driving shall be considered a lesser offense than reckless driving.

Every person convicted of careless driving shall be punished by a fine of not less than Five Dollars ($5.00) nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

SOURCES: Laws, 1993, ch. 317, Sec. 1, eff from and after July 1, 1993 (became law without Governor's signature on March 16, 1993).

#14 TBO, Feb 7, 2013
  15. I had already slowed because I had just entered city limits and assumed the speed limit went from like 45-30 or something like that. It was only probably like the 2-3rd time I had been on that road. I slowed even further (with my signal on) to turn left when the road forked.

16. Would the fact that I drive a red Camaro SS have anything to do with this? Maybe I just looked fast! Haha..

17. Never said you were bad. My apartment was broken into on the 1st January and the cop handling our case has been a real cool guy.

Ill try and ask him about this as well if he can spare the time.

18. Here's what that guy is going to tell you:

If you feel that the ticket was issued improperly, take it to court;

That's your recourse, and your right, and no matter how many different cops you ask, you're going to get the same answer, even if it's not what you want to hear.

19. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

20. Yea.

But why did he take my license? That really annoys me, especially since I have to drive out of state this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.