Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Question about physical fitness

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by KiloBravo, May 23, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Hello Mas,

I was just wondering if you think most folks who carry a firearm for protection in the civilian world are lacking in the physical fitness department? This question is not at all meant to degrade or insult anybody with a few extra pounds. I have struggled with being overweight my entire life. I recently have lost about 25 lbs and want to lose at least another 30. I am of large build, but had/have a gut.

In your opinion, what percentage do you feel should be spent running as I have been to exercise and what amount should you focus on shooting at the range? Is there a balance that should be achieved between the two? I personally Alden armed 100% of the time, but realized that having a gun would do me no good if I could not sustain my breath to go hands on if need be.

Thanks for your time.
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Physical fitness improves our chances of survival in any strenuous response to a threat to life.

Don't have a percentage to quantify it though. Not sure anyone else does, either.

Recently,when I was checking into a hotel in Nevada where I was teaching a class, the nice young lady at the desk told me where the workout room was. I said, "Good to know." She replied that it was great that someone my age worked out.

I answered, "Nah, it's just that if my significant other gets mad at me, I need to know the one place in this hotel where I can hide from her, and she'll NEVER think to look for me there."

In other words, I respectfully suggest that you do as I say and not as I do...:embarassed:

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

:rofl: I will for sure keep all of this in mind for future hotel stays. :supergrin:

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. It is most appreciated.