Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Question about open carry (WASHINGTON)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by GlockGuy17, Dec 13, 2011.

1. GlockGuy17

Dec 11, 2011
    I have tried searching everywhere for this and it is very hard to narrow it down to my state, which is WASHINGTON. So if anyone here is from Washington and knows the law please brief me.

Was wondering basically what the difference was between concealed and open carry. Is it as simple as not visible vs. visible? I know you have to have a permit for concealed carry, do you have to have one for open carry?

I read somewhere that the weapon must be visible from 3 out of the 4 angles of the this true?

Is it legal for me to carry my gun on my hostler attached to the right side of my belt and walk around in public (given that firearms are permitted).

2. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Read through the forum. This is on there. Anything you don't understand or have a question about just ask.
  3. PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    There are a lot of places you can open carry in Washington. There are also a lot of places that you can't, whether because it is illegal or because it is posted. If you accidentally open carry somewhere that you shouldn't, everyone knows and you can get into a lot of trouble. If you accidentally concealed carry somewhere that you shouldn't, nobody knows and you don't get in trouble. That, plus I see no tactical advantage in letting everybody know you have a gun. Every advantage, both legal and tactical, goes to concealed carry.

I have asked several people why they open carry. The standard response has been "because I can". I can get a tattoo of a wiener on my face legally, but that doesn't make it a smart choice. Make the smart choice.
  4. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Yes if you open carry or concealed carry you should know the laws well. Even more so with open carry which I see as a good thing. And I wouldn't say CC gets every advantage. If the OP chooses to open carry that is HIS choice. If YOU choose to CC that is your choice.

To the OP: If you want to open carry that is your choice. Make sure you know the laws like the back of your hand and that you have a holster with good retention. I personally like the Safariland 6377 but I would encourage you to find one that you like and works best for you. Don't let people discourage you from open carrying. If it was what you want to do then you should do it. I would also recommend carrying a back up gun and a voice recorder. I am not sure about what the laws are regarding recording conversations but in many states only one party has to know you are recording. And if you are part of the conversation then you are a party.
  5. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Don't confuse can with should. Either way, stay conversant with applicable laws.
  6. PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Exactly. The population centers of this state are not very gun friendly. If you choose to open carry, you choose to deal with potential harassment if you do it right, and much worse if you somehow screw it up. It is legal here, but extremely uncommon. Bad idea.
  7. kylet

Sep 13, 2010
    I also live in Washington. I asked a similar question here almost 2 years ago. Do the work and read up the law like I did. Its very beneficial.

Also... be prepared to get strange looks if you OC... not very common in Washington IMHO.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  8. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    The Bellingham to Olympia section of the I-5 corridor is where you will find the largest concentration of anti-gun sentiment, go outside that area, and its pretty gun friendly. Where I live, it's probably still uncommon per se to see people OC, but it isn't uncommon to see it on occasion either.

East of the Mountains, Spokane area, you'll run into the alot of the same anti-gun types, but not as bed as the Bellingham-Olympia area. Open carry somewhere like Winthrop, Okanagon, Chelan, Omak, or Wenatchee, you'll probably be fine. Open carry in a more densely populated liberal area like Seattle or Olympia, you'll probably get some looks.

I don't OC unless doing something outdoors like hunting, fishing, hiking etc, or on occasion for work. Conceal carry is so easy to do, it would take much more effort on my part to effectively pull off open carry since I don't tuck in my shirts or dress real fancy like.