close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Question about ideal program for fat loss.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by beavis1957, Jul 26, 2005.

1. beavis1957

beavis1957 GO GAMECOCKS!

Jun 23, 2004
    West Columbia, SC
    Ok, I have a stupid question for you guys.

I started a workout regime back in Jan. where I would work out at least 3 days/wk and do 2 upper body and 1 lower body in those 3 days. I would do 15 to 20 min of cardio after each day's lift.

I also watched my diet (a little) during this time period. I lost a little bit of fat, but gained quite a bit of muscle.

I have been traveling for the past 3 weeks and unable to work out. I just started back yesterday, and am thinking about trying something different....doing only cardio for 4 days per week at least 1 hr total each day and not worry as much about lifting. I'll maybe lift one upper body day and one lower day per week as time permits.

Is this a better approach to fat loss than what I had been doing(?), cause I wasn't losing much then.

Thanks in advance for advice.

2. benji

benji

Sep 23, 2003
    the best approach to fat loss is to watch your diet. eat less calories than you burn and you'll be set. there is no magic formula or secret workouts. it's a boring, simple answer, but it is the truth. if you like doing cardio better than weights, go for it. i prefer lifting, eating right, and doing hiit.

3. beavis1957

beavis1957 GO GAMECOCKS!

Jun 23, 2004
    West Columbia, SC
    I guess my question was, given a decent diet, should I concentrate more on cardio or will lifting give me enough of a calorie burn to lose significant weight?

It just seems that when I was lifting and doing a little cardio, that my body was stubborn to shed the fat. More cardio is hopefully the answer.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    I believe you should concentrate on high intensity interval training (HIIT) 3xweekly and weight training 3xweekly.

Good luck,
    Jack

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    I should have told you that the HIIT and weight traing should be done on alternate days. On lifting days, keep the time between sets to a minimum.

Something I think works for me is to train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (water is ok) and than not eat for an hour after training.