close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Question about fitting a part

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by HotRoderX, Jun 2, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I got a new recoil spring plug for my RIA Tactical because I wasn't to found of the open design that comes standard. Will I got a Cylinders and Slides GI plug

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=466020

will it is twice as long as my standard plug. So it does not fit. My question is can I cut the Cylinders and Slide plug to fit? Will this cause any problems. I really like the design and the quality is nice. Just to long here a picture of what I am talking about. Thanks guys I know this is more then likely a dumb question. Thanks guys its been one of them days where nothings right.

[​IMG]

2. You do understand that there are different plug lengths depending upon whether your gun is a Government model, Commander, etc., right?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

3. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011

No I did not I am really new to all this and I thought 99% of Commander and Government parts where the same. I know officer is completely different. I know the Commander and Government have different barrel lengths. So I figured Guide rods and parts like that where different but the springs and frame parts would be the same.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    IIRC, the RIA Compact is also a 3.5" gun, so the Commander (4.25") plug will not work either.

5. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011

So what would you use if you needed to replace it? Our would you have to get parts directly from RIA

6. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011
    Cool there any other parts that are unchangeble I should know about?

7. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog

Dec 12, 2008
  8. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Every RIA size except the Gov't models use a reverse plug. I am assuming he has gov't

9. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011
  10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    stock plug is too small for a gov't

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  12. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011

Feeling pretty stupid right now. I guess only way one will learn thought is to ask questions I appreciate the help so far.

13. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

Oct 12, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I'm confused now. So it's a Govt. with a short plug and the long Govt. plug won't fit? :dunno:

14. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    This is confusing me too. I guess RIA uses an oddball?

15. If your barrel measures 5" from the back of the ejection port to the muzzle, it is a Gov't Model and the new plug you have should work fine.

16. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011

I measured it and its 5inch's. It has a full size guide rod. But the plug diffently does not fit. I even cut the plug thinking it was to long. When the gun is open or being cocked the guide rod goes thought the front of the plug. I am gonna take some pictures.

I thought all 1911's feel into the 3 basic categories

1911 Government
    1911 Commander
    and
    1911 Officer

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  18. HotRoderX

Jan 15, 2011
    What would I have to change out on the gun to get it to except a standard govt recoil spring plug? Would it be just a new guide rod, or barrel? sorry to ask all these questions.

19. limbkiller

limbkiller

Mar 25, 2011
    ky
    So what you're saying is you have a full length guide rod with a standard plug. That won't work.