quad rail - go cheap or not

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by chr_edw, Apr 12, 2012.

1. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

About to finish my build and can't decide to go cheap on the quad rail or not. Will I know the difference?

I was looking at the target sports that can be had for $50 or kicking around the utg pro free float for about $80. My other option is the yhm diamond free float.

What do u think?

www.martialartdeals.com

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Does anyone make a two piece quad rail in mid length Black Rifle Forum Saturday at 12:42 PM
    FS; Spotting scope, Quad rail and CC Belt... Gun Parts & Accessories Aug 16, 2015
    WTT: RRA CAR A4 Quad Rail Upper for RRA CAR A4 Std. Upper Gun Parts & Accessories Apr 25, 2015
    WTB Noveske 9" SWS Quad Rail Wanted To Buy Apr 11, 2015
    WTS: RRA CAR A4 Quad Rail Upper Gun Parts & Accessories Mar 9, 2015

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

I think I really like My Daniel Defense Omega and Lite rails, they are free floated, Solid, and light weight. You get what you pay for so I guess you'll have to quantify your needs. Is this just a range plinker?

#2 Travclem, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

I hear ya, I would like to get a DD to go with my upper and BCG but don't want to spend $300. Especially for a rail/handguard. I guess I just don't get how some of them are so expensive for what they are.

5. I have a fairly cheap ( under $100) on my ar and its worked great. It's a billet piece and free float

6. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

I have the UTG quad from cheaper than dirt. Its nice and solid, even with a forward grip it has no twist or slack.

7. WayaX

Lifetime Member

The Troy alpha rail is probably the only rail I would use under $200.

UTG is generally considered airsoft grade. YHM isn't terrible, but they're excessively heavy.

8. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

The UTG is as heavy as any other rails and scope bases I have used. I did hear they sold some air soft made items. You need to buy from a company like CTD and not ebay or somewhere to make sure you get the real deal.
    Its as good as the rails I use to see surplused from the gov. 15 years ago.

9. Spend some money or you may be sorry.

10. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I have a UTG one as well and it has been rock solid. Yeah it's heavier than a lot of others but it has done everything I needed it to do. But I must add that it is on my list to replace just no where near the top.

11. i have a cheap AIM Sports quad rail. it is very tight fitting and pretty light. i have a foregrip mounted on it and it is very secure with no wobble. if i was made of money, sure, i would buy a 200-300 dollar rail but i think thats stupid. im not going to war with my gun, its a range plinker and for like 40 bucks, it is actually much higher quality than i had expected.

if you plan on going to war with your gun, sure, spend a few hundred on an expensive quad rail. if you are the average person, which pretty much all of us are here on GT, an AIM rail will work just fine.

Sam

12. Buy once, cry once. Don't buy cheap rails. Troy offers plenty of options for around $200, and they are well worth the money.

13. Contrary to lots of negatives I read, I have a utg that is like a tank... solid....I'm happy....

14. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

Yeah the UTG is heavy. I think they over built it. I read reviews on it and saw youtube vids of how well made they were before I bought it.

15. It's heavy to make up for lack of quality engineering. Instead of using a better design that's stronger and lighter, but harder to make, they use a cheap, simply, and very heavy design that they can make for cheap. I'd much rather have a quality made, light, and strong rail that I paid more for than a boat anchor with rails.

16. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

17. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

Use it more for seeing how they are built and what they look like. Didnt mean it as a review.

18. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

UTG rails are strong. They are machined aluminum.

But what Plank is talking about is that they are heavy. You would be much better served by DD or even Troy's new TRX modular rails which I really REALLY like on my 8" Noveske. They are so light you don't even notice they are there.

Here is a link to the Troy TRX modular rails for ~$130 (or you can googlefu for possibly a better deal just trying to help you out).
    http://www.fedtacticaldirect.com/Troy-Industries-Alpha-Rail-No-Sight-72-Blk-STRX-AL1-72BT-01_p_35232.html

19. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Checking out the Troy TRX modular. Thanks for the recommendation. I am trying to stay under $130 give or take.

20. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Yeah. I wish I could tell you that you'd be happy with the UTG rail. I bought one back in 2007 when they hit the market and it was OK for what it was (back then Omega 7.0 rails and others were all $300). YHM also made rails and were $150 and I don't like theirs either wish I hadn't bought it (again very heavy).

I got rid of the UTG and I don't miss it one bit. You would be wise to get a quality light-weight rail on your rifle as you will enjoy it for years to come and at the price it's hard to beat them. Once you feel the design you'll know what I'm talking about.

Because of weight and modular design the new TRX rails are all I will be using from now on (don't forget to grab a TRX QD sling attachment if it doesn't come with it already.. else add it later if you so choose to go with a QD mount. They are really convenient and don't break the bank compared to GearSector add on QD mounts).

:wavey: