close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q. ATV utility trailer selection

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Jun 11, 2012.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I'm looking to get a utility trailer to pull behind my quad.
    Primary use for hauling things such as; gravel, fire wood, white tail deer, camp supplies, etc. Of course this will include travel along/through/over rough trails and natural terrain.
    I've narrowed it down to a couple trailers, both available Online by Northern.

My question is for those who have experience with utility trailers traveling over less than level terrain.
    The model is available in single axle (which will handled the weight of my loads), or dual (which should offer more stability over less than level terrain with heavy loads).
    One area I will traverse often is a small hill (about 5-6 foot steeper change of elevation) with a bit of a cant to it (can't go up or down straight, but have to take an angle down/up it).
    How much better would the dual axle be, or not?
    Thanks in advance.

Links to the two below:

Polar Sport Off-Road ATV Trailer — 1200-Lb. Capacity, 15 Cu. Ft., Model# 8232

[​IMG]
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200135124_200135124

Polar Trailer Heavy-Duty Tandem Axle Utility Trailer — 1200-Lb. Capacity, 15 Cu. Ft., Model# 8261

[​IMG]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330310_200330310

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I would help ya, but I am not allowed to talk to police.

Seriously, though, I have no clue.
    -Dana

3. ozark-tracker

ozark-tracker

we have a single axle tralier simalar to the one pictured, we pull it as a feed trailer in our turkey operation, we haul about 900 pounds of feed at a time, it you don't get it too heavy on the top a single axle is pretty stable with a load, it seems to hold the ground good, if you have holes the extra axle will help but on the other hand a second axle can get you stuck in situation where that first axle goes over something and you have to come to a stop , it's tough to get moving and jump something at the same time, but it may be a little more stable on that hill, it'd probably just depend on the weight of all your gonna carry and something else we did that helped, we lengthened the tounge of the wagon about a foot and a half and installed a ball coupling hitch. makes it a lot easier to back ,

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Thank you.

I intend to put a ball coupling hitch on it, and my heaviest loads will probably be gravel.
    I didn't think about holes & hopping. The hill may not be as much of an issue as crawling over some boulders. I think I can keep moving over the majority and not have to start/stop over them, but it's given me something to think about and look at in the other areas I'll be using the cart.

5. DaneA

DaneA

2 is better than 1. Consider if you blow a tire, the second axle will get you back home.