close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Putting Down Injured Deer

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by Indiana Camper, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Indiana Camper

Indiana Camper
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to see what you all think would be the quickest way to put down an injured deer. What ammo? Where to shoot it...head, heard/lungs, etc.? With my job I find myself more often than I'd like having to put down suffering deer. I think I'm going to start using my G29 instead of .40 cal.

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Head with some sort of fmj or hardcast gets my vote...probably wont matter much tho if youre hitting them in the head..

3. TreyG-20

TreyG-20
    Expand Collapse
    Second2None

I used a .22 lr. I only had to do it once but one shot to the head and it was done really fast.

4. Kegs

Kegs
    Expand Collapse
    Ol 8 fingers ;)

The last time I did this was about 20 years ago: Knife under the throat works just fine.

.40 or .22 will also work, just a lot louder. Head shots are lethal. The extra 200 fps you're gonna get from a hot 10 load vs. a .40 will not matter from point blank range.

#4 Kegs, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow
    Expand Collapse
    Ret. Fireman

I'd use whatever I had at hand, It is the humane thing to do if neceassary!

6. Indiana Camper

Indiana Camper
    Expand Collapse

Well it's also partly an excuse to shoot my newest pistol. Plus I don't have to show up for work the next day with the 10mm clean. I normally take head shots but it seems like a couple times lately they haven't died as quickly as I would have liked. I don't mean to sound like a big weannie, just hate to see something lay there and suffer any longer than necessary.

7. nickE10mm

nickE10mm
    Expand Collapse
    F.S.F.O.S.

I suppose a headshot with a solid bullet would be best, assuming you don't get hit with a ricochet. Deer skulls are pretty hard!

8. G33Fla

G33Fla
    Expand Collapse

head shot, use whatever you have...it will be over quick

9. twisted1

twisted1
    Expand Collapse
    head busta

10mm to the heart or the brain is instant death!

10. BearMBD

BearMBD
    Expand Collapse

I have had to kill an injured deer while in the city limits. Police officer would not let me use a 22 pistol for a clean kill. I had to sever the spine with a knife. Right at the base of the skull. Lights out quickly and hopefully no pain for the deer

11. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie
    Expand Collapse
    Regular Guy

I've had to put down plenty of injured deer hit on the highways. I once shot a large buck in the top of his head with five .40 caliber rounds. The damn thing kept standing back up! Bad times since the lady who hit it with her car was standing 50 yds away with her kids getting a report taken. And this was in the gun-hating San Fransisco bay area! Awk-ward!

Soon after that a game warden showed me a cool trick. She dropped a blanket (or tarp) over the injured deer's head. This makes it immediately drop to the ground, no running around. Then she drew an old .38 revolver, hardly a deer-killing round, and shot the thing just behind the ear. Instant lights out. It was amazing.

I've also used a .556 round against an injured cow and THAT worked pretty damn well. A dairyman had to bring a skip loader over to drag the carcass away with a chain though. Heavy bastards. Good "hunting"!

#11 Opie 1 Kenopie, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  12. Indiana Camper

Indiana Camper
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. Ive definitely put down my share with .40 and sometimes it's fast but other times it does take several shots. Sometimes they just really fight it. I normally do aim for the brain. Maybe i'll try some of my 200 or 230 grain DT hardcast.

13. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

You may have a case to put an injured deer down if you are a Law Officer in MN, but you others had better call the DNR Officer and get permission, before you kill a MN deer. Here that is akin to hunting and DNR doesn't like it. I'm talking shooting, other means may be ok.

Good intentions aren't enough.

14. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

If the shooting the brain isnt working, try aiming for the base of the brain where it meets the spinal cord...sever that spinal cord right there and it is lights out real quick!

15. furioso2112

furioso2112
    Expand Collapse

destroying the brain stem is the key - severed spinal cord paralyzes, but quickest is brain stem obliteration - that's they part of the brain that controls heart, lungs, etc. I've seen deer dispatched in a number of ways - blades, bullets, boots, cars, arrows, traps, other animals, dogs, gas, catapults, drowning, smashed in head with a rock, blow guns, five-finger death punch, snake bites, starvation, choking, cancer, brain rot, clotheslines, suffocation, diabetes, trephining, smoke inhalation, mountain cats, horse stompings, glass window severings, stuck in a tree, hypodermic needle, drug overdose, panic, fire. There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the world.

16. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman
    Expand Collapse

I usually go for the head shot with my rifle (700LTR) , but I have put a few 45 ACP slugs in downed deer. I always went for lights out, and had no problem penetrating a skull. Both the 40 and 10mm will do the same thing at point blank range putting one in the head. My favorite sidearm in the field is without a doubt my G20 though. The flat trajectory, extended range, and excellent ballistics make a lot of sense to me.

17. blastfact

blastfact
    Expand Collapse

Are you kidding? Put the deer down with any means possible!

We had a horse hit on the hwy this week one morning. It was ripped to hell! I stopped and spoke with the animal control official on scene. He didn't have clearance to put the horse down. I went over and put it down with my lock blade. It's guts were ripped open and broken up to hell.

It was laying in a ditch off the hwy with a huge berm behind it. I could have laid it down with my PF-9 and done so safely. But I chose the blade so the idiot cops could not charge me with discharging a firearm in city limits. And the horse had been down long enough that it blood was already dried on the hwy. No cops, troopers, our county folks. Just a hen pecked dog catcher.

Put them down and do it quick by any mean possible!

18. Maine1

Maine1
    Expand Collapse

headshots. Works on everything i have put down.

19. BigLaw

BigLaw
    Expand Collapse

Damn dope head deer. There have been two car killed in front of the same house this year. I'd better check it out, must be their dealer.

#19 BigLaw, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  20. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

IMHO, only caliber choice to use!