close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Putting down animals.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ohio Cop, Feb 4, 2013.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    When can cops start putting down more two legged animals? That's what I want to see.

2. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas
    I just shoot in the middle where I think most of the brain is. I sawed many an antler/skull off of a buck so I have a pretty good idea where most of the brain is in a deer. I had to put down a cow one time while it was looking at me so I shot first shot between the eyes just slightly above the line between them. That dropped its head, but it didn't turn the lights out so I had to do a second shot close by the first one which instantly did the job.

Most of the animals I've put down have been with a .40, but one deer as described above(front legs intact pulling itself along on dangling rear legs) was put down with one 9mm to the side of its head in a slightly down angle. Knowing how deer love to resurrect themselves, I put another one in its head for good measure.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

3. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

Yeah, it was pretty comical if you weren't mom dad or the kids. Somewhere there's a kid who just got a D on his math test because of PTSD.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Sniff

Sniff

Nov 24, 2007
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Our current live fire practice include simulated shooting of animals with the M4.

We show the cops how they need to aim three inches above the intended point of impact to allow for the difference in height of the aimpoint sight above the bore.

We've had a couple of instances of animals having their faces shot off as opposed to a clean kill, or multiple shots needed to kill. Not good PR.

I spoke to one of our officers who told me she had to shoot an injured sheep with her M4. She told me that when she fired, she thought the gun had exploded because it was so loud.

She had only ever fired on the range with the suppressed training weapons while wearing hearing and eye protection. The noise and blast of an unsuppressed M4 was something she was not prepared for.

Sniff

5. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Surefire EP4s FTW. Since our last firearms qual, mine just stay in my jacket pocket, for a multitude of reasons, even though I work inside the fence.

6. Sniff

Sniff

Nov 24, 2007
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I gave her a few sets of disposable ear plugs to go in the latex glove pouch on her belt.

7. lndshark

lndshark

Nov 15, 2009
    NOT the PNW (yet)
    No shotguns here. Have had to put down a few deer with more than one round of (then) Gold Dot .40 S&W. Policy states long guns are not permitted for dispatching animals (scratching head)...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    Tx
    That works too......

9. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    Now THIS would be helpful. I personally would have no idea where to shoot most animals. Most guys I work with are hunters, so chances are the decision would not be left to me... but still good info to know.

Any idea who/where to contact at CHP? I'm guessing their headquarters has at least a couple hundred extensions.

10. Chp has a "publishing office" you should be able to contact. It also supplies all the traffic forms to CA agencies.

11. Sheepdog689

Sheepdog689 NRA Life Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Click each image to enlarge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Apparently some spots in the deer's head are far better than others. I watched my Dad dispatch several deer using 158 grain lead ball from a Chief's Special and the deer seemed to expire about instantly.