close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

'puter on hte blink! please help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 2kflhr, Jan 7, 2005.

1. 2kflhr

2kflhr

Dec 19, 2004
    Mooresville. NC
    My mouse and the direction keys on my keyboard started acting up when scrolling down, then it would go back up to the top of the page automatically. I wasn't sure why, I checked all of the connections and did a system restore going back a week. Now when I boot it up, it will show the Windows XP logo at the start and the screen goes blank. The cursor is on the screen and you can move it around the screen. I even tried to start up in safe mode and get the same results. You can see the "safe mode" in each of the 4 corners. It seems like it stops booting up. I'm running XP Pro with Norton AV.

Any ideas from anyone of what is going on?

All help and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Can you give more info? With just this description of the problem, you are likely going to get only a "Step One:" sort of answer...

How were they acting up? Jumping?

What had you installed or removed just prior to the onset of the problem?

Has the PC been scanned for spyware, adware and viruses?

Let us know.

3. 2kflhr

2kflhr

Dec 19, 2004
    Mooresville. NC
    I had reloaded a Weather channel program the other day. I can't remember if the problem started before or after this. I was using the scroll function on my mouse to scroll down, when I would let go of the button on ocassion it would automatically scroll back up to the top of the page. It kept getting worse, so I started dragging down to where I wanted to be on the page using the left mouse button. Then it started doing the same thing. When I would lift the left button it would go back up. I then used the direction keys on my keyboard to scroll down. They started doing the same thing. So not knowing what was going on, I decided to restore to an earlier date ("before I loaded 'the Weather Channel")and now this. I run Search and Destroy and Spyblaster software and keep updated weekly along with Norton AV software with auto protect and auto update on. I'm on my kids computer now trying to figure out what is going on with mine.

Thanks in advance for trying to help!

4. 2kflhr

2kflhr

Dec 19, 2004
    Mooresville. NC
    Okay, doing some searches through www.majorgeeks.com (thanks for the direction!) I remembered that last night I accidently killed the power to the PC. From the searches, It appears that I screwed up the registry. I put the XP disc in to try to boot up with it but it doesn't give me the option to boot off of the disk. Any body know how to get around that obstacle?

5. On start up of the CD choose install not rescue.Then you will get another chance to type R for rescue/recovery.Type (R) at that time.Then you can do a rescue reinstall of XP and save your data.

6. If you have added SP-1 or SP-2,pressing (R) won't work at first.First press )Enter) then next screen press (R).

7. The best way around the problem mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308402 is on the first screen instead of pressing (R),press (Enter) instead.You will still get a choice to press (R) afterwards.On second screen that gives the choice to press (R) is the time you want to press (R).

9. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

May 31, 2003
    Derry, NH
    [​IMG]

Note: Not being a smartass... just sympathizing. I'm in the middle of my third day of trying to figure out why one of my W2K PC's is slower than John Kerry releasing his Vietnam medical records.

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    here's microsoft's response:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314503

a better answer (i found it somewhere the other day b/c i had similar problem as you):