Purse gun that packs a punch

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Usmcfox, Jan 13, 2012.

1. barth

barth six barrels

My S&W 342 ti titanium 38 weights 11.1 oz empty and 13.5 loaded
    with Speer GDHP 135 gr 38+P Short Barrel ammo.
    FBI Protocol test results from a 2" snub nose:
    http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm

This little monster is a dream to carry, sweet glassy trigger,
    shoots POA at close range and is 100% reliable.
    It does kick like a 357 Mag, but if she can handle a G20?
    With a XS Big Dot on the nose - SD is pull, point, squeeze.
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #61 barth, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

She likes revolvers because she can easily see if they're loaded or not. Her ex was a real jerk and scared her with a little 25acp that he had. He took the mag out and then proceeded to point it at her then he pointed it at his head and told her "It's not loaded" at which point he pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger and it went off. Guess the dumb***** didn't remember about the one in the chamber Anyway, after that she's just not comfortable with small semi-autos and would rather have a revolver.
    I took her shooting for the first time back in the mid-'80's while we were dating. I wanted her to understand what a gun was and was not and since I owned them I wanted her to know how to use them and be safe with them.
    At the time I had an EMF Dakota SAA copy in 357Mag, 5.5" bbl, color case frame. We went out to the desert and I loaded it up with some 38spl loads and taught her how to shoot. She pretty much took to it like a duck to water.
    She doesn't make firearms a priority like I do though, she really doesn't care if she has one or not. I, on the other hand, just don't feel right without one. Still, I'd like to pick up a decent little revolver and let her get use to shooting it enough for her to take her CCW so she can carry if she'd like.

3. Kahr P9, or PM9 is smaller than a G26 and is the same caliber.

4. The PPK does have snappy recoil, and the potential for slide bite, and is heavy for it's size. It also is traditional double action, which some prefer and some do not, so the user has to consider if they want that.

Because the PPK/S has the longer grip, that version might reduce the recoil a little.

Personally, I prefer the lighter polymer LCP that is double action only, no safety, a little smaller than the PPK, and has about the same or less recoil.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Here's my thoughts as to why a revolver like a j-frame is a great purse gun.
    A woman can actually fire it from inside a pruse, and get off more than one shot.
    Doubt this would be possible with a semi auto like the G26.

Now, I will agree, for "on body" carry there are other choices. Also,
    a .357 Mag j-frame would not be a recommendation of mine for most
    women. .38 Special,....yes, very capable caliber for defense.

6. My wife has a snubbie and loves it, and can shoot it more accurately than most guys shoot their autos. You raise good issues, but need to balance with the other qualities of the snubbie too.

We teach new women shooters, and work them through a progression of guns. For a small carry gun, the snubbie becomes a viable option for them. The recoil with standard loads is typically no worse than the small .380. The reliabilty is superb, so is concealibilty. You can easily pick from a variaty of grips to best fit the user. Operation is straight forward and easy to understand. The gun is as accurrate as any other, and learning to shoot it well furthers overall shooting skills.

But these issues need to be understood in overall context of the many choices in guns out there.

#66 ithaca_deerslayer, Jan 14, 2012
  7. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

:rofl::rofl:

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

This is the same old b.s. that "firearms trainers" have been bloviating on for 50 years.....them wimmin folk are gonna shoot from inside their purse.:rofl:

Yep, that's gonna work.....reaaaal well.:rofl:

If a new shooter is offered many different pistols to try, and they pick a snubby, fine. Load up said snubby with .38SCPL+P JHPs, or .357Mags, and the chances they'll choose the snubby over the many other choices available today isn't that great. From the poor sights, long difficult to master trigger, to the poor sights.....there's just many, many better choices out there on the market today. Ones that make getting hits on the target much, much easier, which makes shooting fun.

I apporach this subject not just from a self-defense perspective, but from the idea that it's much better for people to enjoy shooting, to the point where they want to do it for a life time. The more people we get involved in shooting, the more protected our 2A rights will be in the future. Starting new shooters and CCWers off with nasty shooting pistols is not the way to bring new peple to shooting and keep them with us.

#68 M&P15T, Jan 14, 2012
  9. Never ceases to impress how a query for advice can turn to mud slinging. Stay classy, dude.

OP - I'd read through the options listed in this thread and other online sources and spend a day at the range with your wife to try out the various options before committing. Have a good one!

10. faawrenchbndr

CLM

You're hopeless,........:wavey:

11. Not to mention that it's significantly less likely to have a malfunction, can't be weak-wristed, and if a round fails to fire, you just pull the trigger again.

Since the OP's girlfriend has already got some semi-auto experience, she's probably willing to practice a semi-auto, learn failure drills, and be able to rely on one for self defense. HOWEVER, I don't like the idea of semi's for purse carry, much for the reason you stated, in addition to the innate advantages of a revolver.

12. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Nice to know someone sees my point.

I do agree with the point that the decision of WHAT firearm someone
    should carry, is best left to the individual.

Many have complained about the size of the grip on the Beretta 92fs.
    My wife is 5'5", 125lbs,......so an average size Lady. She has NO problems
    with the Beretta's grip, she shoots it better than most men!

Any rate,.........thanks 'Plank, I'm outta this one before I ruffle some one's feathers.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Right back atcha' pardnor!!!

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

All of this is true, there are definitely some advantages to revolvers. But you know what? The average woman/new shooter does not care about that stuff.

Everything you listed are concers that seasoned shooters discuss in forums like this, or over a beer at the local range. New shooters, especially women, are more interested in finding what appeals to them, and as others have noted, what appeals to them is not necessarily always based on logic or facts.

We need to focus on getting more new shooters, and especially more new women shooters, onto the ranges. Forget about the minute details and circumstance specific reasons why you think a particular pistol is the right one to recommend. Most of the reasons that would cause you to recommend a pistol are of little importance to new female shooters. They have completely different ways of figuring stuff like that out, of what concerns them, from you.

#74 M&P15T, Jan 14, 2012
  15. Glad you are putting that effort in. My club is just old guys who want to shoot, and have the women serve coffee. My wife's club does all the organizing, holds women's instruction and shooting events, and pays to get women certified as NRA instructors.

Of course those larger guns are nice to shoot. But keep in mind that for carry, the smaller guns are better suited to actually being carried in real life.

Nothing worse than a jamomatic. Haven't you seen women show up with those, too? They pull out the small mousegun they've been carrying, small sights, can't hit anything, and jam. At least if they have a snubbie, you can have them put some 148gr waddcutters, which are low recoil, and you can start working on fundamentals with a gun that doesn't jam. You can work them on a variety of guns, have them consider the different choices out there, and at the end of the day they go home shooting their small reliable carry gun much better then when they started.

The woman with the small jamomatic? She's going home not able to get her gun working right, and is thinking about options on what to buy next.

You and me? We are gun enthusiasts, and hobbyists, and some are even firearms proffesionals. We'll buy several guns, always buying the next one. If we get one that jams we are working out different loads for it, polishing parts, switching out springs, buying different mags, and if worst comes to worst, sending it back to the factory while switch attention to one of our other 20 carry guns. The average shooter wecare trying to teach is not like that. They just want a carry gun that works, and maybe another larger gun if they also start to get involved in target shooting some. They can ultimately shoot both guns, but we can't assume they are going to get a collection and become like us.

16. Problem solved we went to a range/gun shop and she shot a walther ppk a Taurus CIA in 357 and a Taurus 740 slim and she liked the 740'best and at 15 feet all hit center mass. Plus since I load 10mm I have all the ingredients to make some nasty sd loads for it. Thanks for all your input.

17. The first priority in helping someone to find a carry gun is to help them find a carry gun, hopefully one that works reliably for them.

The second priority can be encouraging them to become better shooters, or active in the sport, or pro-gun voters, or whatever you feel is important.

But back to the first priority, lay out some options for them, give them some help, and let them pick. And keep helping them as long as they keep asking, until they become better them you :)

What guns are you laying out on the range table for the woman to choose from in her search for a small carry gun?

I'll personally put out there G26, 642, 637, PPK, LCP, PM9, EMP. Someone else will also typically add to that G19, Berreta bobcat, NAA Guardian, SIG238. And whatevercelse the other instructors bring. Let them try and decide on their own what they like and will likely carry. The revolver is included in those choices.

The instruction usually starts with the larger guns, such as S&W42 or 2206 22's, or a revolver 22, or a GP100 38, or a Berreta 92 or G17 or other such fullsize 9mm. But those aren't the type of guns likely to be concealed carried picks.

#77 ithaca_deerslayer, Jan 14, 2012
  18. Just took the time to read every post you guys are raging over nothing lol. To each his own.i personally despise taurus firearms. But she claims it's nicer than my competition ready g20. Is she wrong...no am I wrong...no it's just opinions and how you are wired and built.

19. barth

barth six barrels

Nothing wrong with a Taurus???
    Just be happy your girl likes guns and is willing to defend herself.
    Sounds like everybody wins to me - LOL.

Have fun and be safe my friend.

20. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

That's what I carry almost every day....LCP.

The LCP definitely has more of a "shock wave" in the recoil than the PPK/S.....and I have carried both, so I'm not just repeating what I've heard.

The recoil on the PPK/S is much easier to handle than the LCP.

The size and weight of the PPK/S is why it's just not that good an option, compared to the current market offerings.......but, if anyone chose the PPK/S for ccw use, it's still a good choice.....and, a personal choice.

ooc