close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pure prairie stuff

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by diode, Dec 26, 2010.

1. diode

diode

Jan 13, 2004
    transformerville
    Well, I started visiting this part of Glock Talk because I came across a Mossberg Maverick model 88 nib for a reasonable price when I had a Christmas bonus in my wallet. I needed to know if this was a reasonable choice for a home defense weapon other than my Glocks. Based on this website and other discussion forums I moved on the gun and it is now mine. The following is My Christmas Story:

OK, I am not a rocket scientist but as it has been at least 25 years since I fired a shotgun and for some unknown reason (likely old age) I had forgotten how short barrels transfer energy backwards more than a longer choked barrel. I started out with some Federal #7 shot, oh my god, how could I be so stupid with the diagnosed torn rotator cuff on my left shoulder. (I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed) I dropped to my knees from the pain on the first round.
    I began to work my shoulder around in a circular manner once the pain level dropped and it started to feel a little better. Stood back up, shouldered the weapon and squeezed off a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. I must hate myself but I just spent 245.87 on a new toy and I wanted to play just a bit. Reloaded another 5 rounds and shot my steel gongs from the hip. Had gone to Wallyworld earlier in the AM and picked up a box of 15 - 00 buck Federal shells and loaded them up. Holy crap, them babies kick! Shot again from the hip, reloaded another 5 and gently worked my shoulder in a circular manner, pulled up and squeezed off 5 in a row from the shoulder. Guess what? Other than bruising, it must have been a bone spur that I had just broken off! I have (right now) full mobility of my left shoulder with very little pain! No bull, a non-medical proceedure may have fixed what the Orthopeidic Dr. had told me was probably a rotator cuff tear. I do have a confirmed MRI on in the right shoulder showing a tear, but speculation was on the left side.

Spent 10.96 on the 00 buckshot, 245.87 (w/tax) on a shotgun and received gun powder surgery on the ranch! Life is indeed good. (Or I will be in terrible pain later tonight)

Thats my Christmas Story and I am stick'n to it..................

jb

2. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    If your shoulder continues relatively pain free I'd said you've given yourself a very Merry Christmas!

Best of luck and you've got yourself a fine home self-defense weapon.

3. hope it did help you, that would be a great story if true. you could put on a recoil reducing stock like the knoxx specops or compstock. im putting a compstock on mine, you can shoot all day with no soreness

4. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    I agree with him you should look into the knoxx recoil reducing stock

5. diode

diode

Jan 13, 2004
    transformerville
    I love Glock Talk, it is a one-stop info center! wtf0ver, I ordered a Knoxx Specops stock and just fired some 00 buck out of it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
    If I had not checked in on this forum, I would have needlessly suffered the punishment making myself 'man-up' to the recoil...at 58 you do not 'man-up' needlessly. Your and others suggestion deserves a big thank you, by the way, I still have full mobility of my left shoulder from the previous episode and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth either!

Thanks folks!! jb