close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Purchases with GSSF in mind?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Seale Team, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Seale Team

Seale Team

Aug 20, 2012
    Just curious how many of you have made original or additional Glock purchases for the purpose of GSSF Matches?

This topic arose earlier when I was discussing that the Matches promoted sales. Seems not everyone feels the matches are a money maker for Glock.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. youngann

youngann Pistol People

Aug 7, 2012
    Pa
    I bought my first Glock specifically for shooting GSSF. My first 3 weeks of shooting were with a revolver. Then the range owner said he wanted me to shoot GSSF and lent me a G17. I liked it so much that I bought one.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I've bought several Glocks just for GSSF outdoor matches. When I started running the indoor series in Roanoke back in July 2010, most of my competitors used borrowed Glocks. Now my group of 40 shooters all own one or more Glocks.

GSSF is a marketing tool for Glock and has been since day one over 20 years ago.

4. The only Glock I bought specifically for GSSF is my highly modified G34 Unlimited gun. Every other Glock has been purchased (or won, and selected) with 'carry' or all my competitive disciplines in mind - mostly IDPA and Steel.

5. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I bought my first glock for concealed carry, but my next purchase will probably be through the GSSF for the reduced price, and it will be a competition gun. Would I have bought it even if the GSSF didn't exist? Yes, because I like Glocks and I want to own as many firearms as I can. However, the GSSF just allows me to buy one for cheap, which means I can spend the money I saved on a few accessories to assist me in the competitions.

6. Keyhole

Keyhole

Dec 28, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Got the G17 just for GSSF.

7. stak

stak

Feb 6, 2012
    CA
    Both the 17 and 34 were bought for GSSF. The 26 will be too. Then I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to get for Heavy Metal and Major Sub. One for them both or two separate guns - I haven't decided yet.

8. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    One for each. Why buy one gun when you can buy two? :tongueout:

9. I would say GSSF encourages guns sales.All of the people i have brought to a match have ended up purchasing a gun or two . I have also been getting a set of competition only guns some of them I have paid for at the discounted price and some of them I have won thru GSSF random guns awards. They give away allot of guns at matches .I dont think glock is able to put money in there pocket at the end of the year from the GSSF division ,But I do think its good for Glock to support and encourage the shooting sports.

10. PM720

PM720

Apr 2, 2011
    Vegas Baby!
    I bought my G30sf specifically for GSSF HM and MajSub, I also shoot it in Subcompact. My G35 got transformed into a G22 and is used pretty much in GSSF only as well. :supergrin:

Scott

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. Melissa5

Melissa5

Feb 4, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Yes, I've bought several Glocks specifically for GSSF.

12. bryandover

bryandover

Jul 5, 2012
    Missouri
    All of my Glocks were purchased for GSSF and since have switched to Glock for USPSA.

13. JonInWA

JonInWA

Apr 4, 2004
    Auburn, Washington
    My first Glock, a G17, was bought specifically for GSSF participation, as was a much later G34. Their venues have much expanded since, to include IDPA and carry.

The darn things have also multiplied, growing to include a G21 and 2 G19s (one won at a Portland OR GSSF match).

GSSF is clearly a marketing opportunity for Glock-but it's also a great sport, and they're excellent pistols.

Best, Jon

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Best I can remember I've got the following with GSSF in mind, some were GSSF award guns so not all were bought.
    4X G17
    4x G22
    G17C
    G21C
    G17L
    G24
    G24C
    G26
    G30
    2x G34
    G35
    G36
    2x G37
    G38
    G39

Looking at my list I never used any of the Cs nor the 17L, or 38 and the 36 only to rob a slide from for the G30. Also have or am using a G27 and G21 I never bought for GSSF. I also have or had a G17, G20, and G22 for USPSA.

15. Got my 17L specifically for GSSF. Got a new Gen 4 17, just because I won it, but use it for GSSF now. I've also slowly moved from 1 division, to 2, and just recently shot 3 divisions for the first time at the Charleston, SC match. Also have purchased a LOT of mags, just for GSSF, so I don't have to reload at the match.

I remember back in 06, my first match at Conyers, was also my brother-in-laws first match. He was/is still big on Beretta's, but left the match wanting to buy a Glock. I laughed, and told him I wasn't surprised, as we were basically in a 3/4 hour infomercial for Glocks! He has one Glock, and my collection, which was one Glock at the time, has greatly expanded since that day 6 years ago....

I can also think of at least a dozen people I've introduced to GSSF, almost all of them now owning Glocks, and having attended at least one match.

In my case, I'd say Glock has made money off my friends/family due to GSSF...and I'm very happy about that!

16. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

Apr 22, 2012
    I bought 3 glocks because of GSSF..

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I bought my G30SF solely for GSSF.
    I had only been shooting my G17 in Am Civ and Competition and noticed that the top Amateur scores weren't super low, thought I could be competitive there. Yeah, think I've won ~$300 with it so far, it was a good investment.

I have 4 Glocks now (G17, G26, G30SF, G34) and only the G30SF was bought solely *for* GSSF. A buddy of mine heard me talking about GSSF, came out and practiced with my G17 some and I talked him into coming to a nearby match with me, he shared my gun and had a good time. He ended up buying his OWN G17 to shoot. He has not shot any other discipline yet, just GSSF.

I suspect buying guns FOR GSSF happens more than you might think.

18. Seale Team

Seale Team

Aug 20, 2012

Very good post and really proves my case. Thanks!

19. What is the best gun to start with at GSSF. I have a G22 and G27. Both were bought for carry. Was thinking about getting a G17C or G34C for GSSF. Opinions PLEASE.

My G27 and G22 are still stock, but I did add extended slide release on both. I have a Lonewolf metal guide rod, but that is easy to change back if need be.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  20. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    There are a million threads about this. Most agree its the G17. I shot 3 divisions with my 17 in Lexington, could've shot UL with it also but I shot my open div. G22 instead. It's hard to beat a G17 for GSSF, the soft shooting 9mm is faster than larger calibers, however your G22 will allow you to shoot the same divisions as a 17. And your G27 will be fine for Subcompact division.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine