close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PUP malware

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GLOCK30JOHN, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GLOCK30JOHN

GLOCK30JOHN

Jun 10, 2005
    North Carolina
    I posted this over in the Tech forum also but hoping for quick replies and help with this so I can stop it before it causes damage to my system. I am running Windows XP.
    Yesterday I noticed my computer running very slow and wouldn't connect to the internet. Im running Kaspersky AV 2013 and definitions are up to date. I ran a scan and it showed no threats.I did a system restore of a previous day (3 days back) and everything seemed ok. I have a free copy of Malwarebytes installed. I updated it and ran a quick scan. It found 789 threats of something called PUP was in my documents/settings. I deleted them out, reset my Firefox home page which had been changed to some blank AVG page. Overnight I ran the full scan(5 hrs) on Malwarebytes and it showed the same 789 objects PUP again. I deleted them again and ran a AV scan and the AV scan found nothing. What is this PUP malware? How harmful is this and why does Kaspersky not pick it up or block it? How do I get rid of it Hijackthis? Any useful programs to get rid of it?

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
    pup is potentially unwanted programs and Malwarebytes should get rid of them but make sure each one is checked or it wont remove them.

edit to add Malwarebytes just updated the way they handle pups, that's you so many are now showing up, they did this in July of this year.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    There are a couple of free programs that may help you. One is ADW Cleaner; the other is Junkware Removal Tool. I have used them both and they seem effective. My wife's laptop was pretty hosed up after our granddaughter borrowed it for a while and downloaded all manner of garbage. These two programs took care of everything.

4. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Aug 18, 2009
    Metro ATL
    Good info. I've got two granddaughters so I know what you mean. :wavey:

NN

5. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Miami, FL
    More than likely you are not killing the virus itself because you have a root kit installed. One thing you can do is download tdsskiller from Kaspersky. This is a an anti root kit utility. basically run that first to see what it finds, and then run a full malwarebytes scan.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/5350#block3

It sounds like you are infected with the pup whitesmoke malware. A lot of times this does come with a root kit, so run the app I mentioned above and it should get it.

6. GLOCK30JOHN

GLOCK30JOHN

Jun 10, 2005
    North Carolina

Ok I will give that a try also. I am running Super Antispyware now and so far this is what is telling me

no registry threats found
    no memory items threats found

file items 917 threats that are as follows

trojan.dropper/win-nv 2 items
    trojan.agent/gen 1 item
    malware.installer-pkg/gen 15 items
    adware,tracking cookie 899 items

7. GLOCK30JOHN

GLOCK30JOHN

Jun 10, 2005
    North Carolina
    I just ran the tdsskiller and it found no threats, The Super Antispyware deleted the items it found, I am now running malwarebytes full scan. Thank you for your help.

8. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    I only have one, but when she gets a hold of my laptop.......:steamed:

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I can think of one in particular..

http://www.ubuntu.com

10. aircarver