close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pump-action vs semi-auto shotguns for HD

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Idontplaynice, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

Jul 7, 2007
    I personally would rather have a good reliable semi-auto SG.

Anyone here agree.

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    I'll take my benelli all day. I'm spoiled though. There is nothing wrong with a pump but I'm used to a semi.

3. But then you can't do that Sarah Connor one-hand pump thing.

4. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    bedside is a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel, and a G20

5. SiNNiK

SiNNiK

Oct 27, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I have a pump gun but have been re-evaluating recently.

6. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Not just that, but I heard that the BG always gets scared and runs away at the sound of the pump racking.:supergrin:

7. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

Aug 26, 2008
    Thornton, CO
    Benelli M4 for HD here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  8. I would take either.

That said, when I was shopping for a home defense gun I got a deal on a bubba'd Remington 1100 that I could not turn down.

I was plannign on buying a Winchester or Mossy pump before stumbling on the gun I bought.

I replaced the seals and orings, gave it a good cleaning and lube...and I am comfortable with it.

YMMV

9. SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth

Feb 27, 2010
    My only experience with a shotgun was shooting 00 buck through a Remington 870 during a familiarization session that lasted about 2 hours.

However, I've always thought for SD/HD the semi-auto shotgun would have an advantage in that it can be fired one-handed. One hand could be injured, opening/closing a door, guiding a child to a safe room, etc. But I've read people with a lot more experience recommending the pump. Maybe someone could clear this up?

10. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
  11. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    I'll take a pump gun over a semi-auto. I honestly don't know how reliable semi-auto shotguns are, but shotgun shells don't necessarily make it easy to design a reliable semi-auto system. Not to mention the pressure differences between 00 Buck and bird shot for example. I think most cops and even the military still use the Mossberg or Remington pump guns, so I figure what's good enough for them should be good enough for me.

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Jun 18, 2005
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hopefully, they can't run very far after they hear the first "BOOM!!!! chick-chack".

Pumps are considered more reliable, though I've yet to experience a failure with a Saiga 12.

13. LEAD

LEAD

Jan 9, 2009
    VT
    Semi is preferable if its reliable.

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    You're doing it wrong, you are supposed to pump it first so you look bad ass. Movies couldn't get it wrong.

15. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Jun 18, 2005
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Damn. I knew I wasn't doing something right. :sadangel:

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Whichever one makes the loudest cycling action sound. Period. HH

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't keep a round chambered, but not because I want to scare the intruder by racking the slide. I just don't think that shotguns are necessarily drop safe. Although the sound of a shell being loudly chambered would certainly make me think twice about going forward.

18. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Mar 5, 2008
    Many moons ago as a poor recently discharged vet, I had a local smith shorten the barrel on my 20 ga Franchi model 48. Well, I've long since purchased several barrels in different chokes. But, it is still used with that shortened barrel as our "home defense" shotgun.

My wife is petit and while she can shoot a 12 ga, it isn't comfortable. In typical indoor distances, that 20 ga with #4 buck should deal with any threat.

On the other hand, my "Jeep gun" is a Mossy 500 in .410. I'm sure it would work for "home defense" with the right loads. So really, it comes down to whatever you prefer.

19. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I've grown up on pumps and double barrels, and don't feel undergunned whatsoever in a home encounter, although as long as a semi-auto runs reliably it can't be at a disadvantage to the previous two... I have a few doubles, and bunches of pumps but a nice 18.5-20" barelled high cap semi-auto would be a welcomed addition...

20. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    I'm too cheap to have anything but a couple of pump shotguns. A Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. If I get enough "gun money" put back to buy a great semi-automatic shotgun, I'll most likely go buy a Sig pistol or something.:supergrin: