PSA upper deal. Worth it? Or wait?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Chuck66, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Hey, all. I've been AR shopping for a few weeks and I'm contemplating picking up pieces to build my first black rifle vs buying a complete gun, and I thought I may even do both. I'm not in much of a hurry, so I thought I'd pick up pieces as they come along at good prices. I'm partial to the M4 style, and PSA is running this deal today:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Thoughts on this for an upper for an M4 styles rifle? I notice it says chrome-lined bore, not barrel. Red flag? Can better deals be had with patience? I don't think I want to mess yet with a stripped upper, so this is as basic as I want to get wih the upper.

I'm aware that PSA is apparently having shipping issues. That's OK if it's a great deal. Like I say, I'm not in a huge hurry. I signed up for their emails the other day and can't believe how cheap some of their stuff seems to be, and the frequency they place things on sale. I'm trying not to get swept up in the fever but their ads make it tempting to just jump in and start ordering.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I have been happy with my PSA, both the lower (which I bought stripped and then built using PSA small parts) and the complete upper. For $269 I don't think you can go wrong :)

3. Cole125

Silver Member

Save up a little more and get a BCM upper. PSA has been having issues, I personally got a defective upper from them, and so have others on this forum. On top of that their shipping times are a joke as well as their CS.

Get BCM, you will be glad you did. Also look into Rainier Arms uppers.

4. ANOTHER one of my friends got a screwed up PSA order yesterday. It is getting a little bit out of control. I had a disconnector out of spec, one friend had his upper shipped to Utah, another had a missing part and yesterday my buddy said his order was missing items. My vote is for BCM.

5. Cole125

Silver Member

Damn, sounds like they are getting worse. Yeah they use quality parts for a very good price, but they have monkeys putting the uppers together and running the shipping department. :alex:

6. You should be fine with the PSA deal. The complaints amount to less than a fraction of a percentage if valid. You came to a BCM fanboy forum with a question about a non BCM so take that into account.

If its built correctly with in spec parts and function tested with a lifetime warranty than you should have no worry as long as you aren't impatient and figgity as a 13 yo girl.

#6 glock031, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  7. I am going to give your idiotic post a pass and just start with some facts. The MAJORITY of my orders and friends orders have not been correct. I was a really big PSA fan when they started out. BCM is top notch in build, customer service, shipping and track record. People are giving the OP real advice from their experience, stop with the fanboy stuff.

8. mvician

Lifetime Member

I've ordered 2 uppers from 2 different sales.

Both uppers arrived in a timely fashion and were put together correctly.

I would and will order from them again.

9. I was getting nervous as I was at about 27 business days but my upper finally arrived. No complaints with the quality. FN barrels are the best.

10. A friend of mine had a STR LPK. I know its not a huge deal but its a big inconvenience it was missing the small allen screw for his MOE trigger guard. And it took 2 weekes to get there too.

11. Well I have one BCM and one PSA so I guess I am in the middle ground :) I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between to the two.

12. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Me too.

13. I have never ordered a PSA, but, judging from what I've seen, I would order one.

That said, it does seem that quite a few of their guns and orders suffer from issues.

I've seen the wrong order shipped, order shipped to the wrong place, and more than a few guns that didn't function intially. Mostly because of improper FSB/gas port alignment.

They seem like a good company, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason its not the same price as BCM. You're not getting a BCM level product.

14. Nothing particully idiotic about my post at all. This forum has 4 PSA complaints out of the bakers dozen or so regulars that frequent this little club. 5,000 plus satisfied customers on ar15 without complaints. What gives? :whistling:

15. from about 7 guys with PSA guns.

PSA, for all the good they do, have a disproportionately large number of issues, with either delivery of the product, or the quality of the product.

They still offer a pretty good deal, and seem to make good on all the guns that leave the factory as anything other than "tip top" But still, you won't see nearly as many complaints with any of the other big name manufacturers.

BCM, simply offers a better product, period. Yes, they cost more, but there is a reason.

16. 30% failure is good to go for you?

17. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

What I'm thinking is, based on how bad it seems just right at the moment with PSA's deliveries, based on what I read here and in Arfcom's PSA forum, combined with the fact that they seem to run more sales than Old Navy, I'm going to give this a pass for tonight and see how it looks in a few weeks. That will give me time to be sure that I'm getting what I want and not just jumping because the price is good. I still like a good value, and think PSA is in my future, if not immediately.

Here's my big gripe with BCM. How in heck do you sort through their website? I get overwhelmed there. PSA's site is much more straightforward. Also, I can't even figure out some of BCM's site. For instance, if you look at their complete rifles, where are the prices? I'm not writing them off either, but I might would have already bought a rifle from them if I could get my info together. I could just call them, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is there another source for their stuff to go to?

While I'm at it, what other sites does everyone like for parts, up to and including complete uppers, where deals come along, like PSA's site? I'm trying to compile a list of sites to check regularly for deals for picking up those random parts at good prices as described in the OP. So far I'm watching Buds, PSA, BCM to some degree, I look over Centerfire Systems every now and then. And Brownell's. Any good ones to add?

Thanks, fellas! :wavey:

#17 Chuck66, Oct 10, 2012
  18. Cole125

Silver Member

Believe what you want, fact is PSA is messing up time and time again. If you want to spend your money on a sub standard company run by monkeys, go for it.

Fact is, there are many companies that have it together with shipping times, CS, and quality control. I spend a little more and buy from companies who know what they are doing and care about their customers.

19. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Same here. Mine is flawless.

OP- I'd wait for a mid length upper rather than a carbine. They are having sales constantly. Just my opinion.

I've had something like 7 orders from them and everything has been flawless. As long as you have patience because they don't get orders out the fastest. They will charge your card immediately though lol.

That being said, I'm extremely impressed with my BCM BCG and charging handle. They also didn't charge my card until the day AFTER the products shipped- which they shipped less than 24hrs after I ordered.

-On mobile

#19 michael_b, Oct 10, 2012
  20. Cole125

Silver Member

Here is a short list of good companies to order from

Rainier Arms (quality gear, nice people who care about you)

Midwayusa (fast shipping, good selection)

PK Firearms (order from them and get your tracking number in a couple hours)

#20 Cole125, Oct 10, 2012