close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PSA: Lone Wolf barrels

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by freakshow10mm, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BENCH

BENCH

Mar 19, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    So the over sized lead bullet uses that advantage to capture the gases to help propel it? Is that right?

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    There ya go. Blow-by is virtually impossible to eliminate, (watch super slow motion film of any gun being fired and you will see gases escaping ahead of the bullet), but reducing it as much as possible increases propellent efficiency.

Since lead bullets are very size dependent the thousandth over bore reduces the likelihood of leading also.

Jack

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    It's not that is shaves them, it's that it swages them just like a sizer. Lee recommends using the largest diameter bullet that will still chamber in loaded round since it will just swage down as it enters the bore. It saves a lot of trouble, since bullets don't have to be just right, they just have to be big enough.

4. BENCH

BENCH

Mar 19, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Well, what happens too all the shaved lead? Does it build up, and fall into the trigger area?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm still trying to see how all this works.

Over sized lead bullet, enters throat, and is shaved down to fit barrel.

I'm diggin it, because I have 2k of lead bullets for my 44 mag.

BENCH

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    The bullet material isn't cut off by some type of sharp edge, the diameter of the bullet is squeezed down smaller as it passes through the tapered forcing cone/throat area. It's just like the sizer used to size bullet. You take a 0.361" diameter bullet and force it through a 0.358" sizer die, the bullet comes out 0.358", but there isn't any lead cut off piling up around the die. It's like a Palydough Fun Factory.

6. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I'm not concerned with cosmetics, I'm concerned with their chambers and the poor workmanship associated with them.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I do get a kick out of blaming the barrel and using "internet history" to support it. Just because you have Wi-Fi doesn't mean crap other then you get to complain publicly. Just because your crap doesn't work doesn't mean it's the barrels fault. I would guess that the vast majority of reported problems with LW have nothing to do with the barrel.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I agree with you Steve.... some just don't realize the limitations and think any bullet reloaded can feed into it.

9. man.cave

man.cave

Mar 6, 2012
    NC
    I wouldn't be so quick to knock LW customer service. They have been great with me. I have bought 3 lw barrels all for my glock 40 cals. no issue. But again I don't shoot lead bullets. Mostly copper plated and jacketed.

10. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    I do know the throats are shorter with the LW barrels. But if I adjust the OAL then I have no problems with lead (or jacketed) bullets. In fact, I run a Beartooth hardcast 265 grain WFNGC in my G21sf with a 6", 4-port LW barrel and have never had a problem.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Shorter then factory or shorter then Storm Lake/KKM.

12. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    Sorry. Shorter than factory. I have no experience with the Storm Lake barrels.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Pretty much all the aftermarket barrels have a shorter throat.

14. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Oldtown Idaho USA
    First of all this thread is NOT a PSA. If it was, freakshow would identify his business relationship with LWD by name, thereby establishing accuracy & creditability. I sincerely believe this thread is a direct attack from some disgruntled consumer. The truth of the matter, 99% of barrel issues are self induced.

FYI: Bullet profile and OAL will directly affect the performance of any barrel. LWD barrels are not conducive to use with SWC bullets. Auto pistols will always feed best when using a FMJ or similar profile.

LWD barrels feature chambers that are short (taper) throated. This feature is proven to provide better accuracy. Yes, this feature may create an issue with your pet reload HOWEVER it is YOUR LOAD that is causing the issue. LWD GUARANTEES our barrels to function flawless when using FACTORY ammunition. Try employing a little rocket science before responding to this statement. Think about it.... the barrel accepts factory loads (ie: Remington, Winchester, Federal) but not your load or your local re-manufactures load. This is telling you the issue is with your load. I don't care if your load fits all your other guns and your brothers guns, the issue is with your load.
    LWD will rechamber your barrel to fit your loads for $30. If this charge offends you, please tell me where on earth you can get a gunsmith to ream a chamber for cheaper? Yes, LWD formerly rechambered barrels for free however we soon realized the vast majority of rechamber requests were coming from loaders who were to lazy to change their load to fit the match grade chamber. Most barrel (chamber) issues are resolved by simply adjusting the load.

Pepiot likes this.
  15. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    I'd say that was actually pretty well said but what do I know since I only have one LW barrel that I don't shoot anymore.

It's not that I have a problem with the barrel, I don't... it's the gun attached to it. Plastic makes me itch.

Jack

16. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    So then why exactly would anyone want your barrel? My factory barrel shoots FMJ already with negligable difference in accuracy compared to your "match grade" barrel.

Your missing the point as to why most of your customer base even buys your barrels, to shoot lead. Most people are under the false impression you can't shoot lead out of a polygonal barrel. With some rounds you can shorten the COAL but on others you get into the ogive of the bullet which screws neck tension.

17. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Oldtown Idaho USA
    No, you are missing the point... completely. There are plenty of factory loads using lead bullets. LWD barrels will chamber a factory lead load, factory FMJ, factory plated yada, yada, yada. (factory, factory, factory) FYI: The factory stuff abides by certain parameters (clue)

If your load dont fit, maybe it does not meet the factory parameters?

18. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    So Remington, Winchester, Federal and Speer have plain non jacketed lead loads in say .40 S&W and .357sig? None that I've seen but I'll be waiting for links.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    If someone orders from you directly and sends you some sample ammo, will you cut it to the ammo? Saves on shipping and hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.