close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PSA 16 inch middy accuracy

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Matthew Courtney, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    I recently put a PSA 16 inch stainless steel middy with a YHM rifle length rail on a Colt lower to replace the Bushmaster that has been pressed into service as a rental. Sighting it in today with an Aimpoint Micro, it put all three 3 shot groups of Wolf into 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Anybody interested to see what a Stainless PSA upper with a Wylde chamber can do with a proper scope and quality commercial ammo?

2. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Cool results, for sure. You got some target pics? :cool: ...also, you running just a standard GI trigger?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

3. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    I guess It has a GI trigger. I bought it as a very lightly used A2 configured Sporter about 10 years ago. Trigger is 7.5 pounds, creepy, with a bit of grit. Didn't take any pictures. All my good scopes are on other rifles, so I may get a good scope for it. MOA rifles deserve quality scopes. It has 1/8 rifling. i wonder what ammo it will like- probably the light tipped stuff. I finally got the Fiocchi 40 gr v max that had been back ordered.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Cool. :cool: I would like to hear what it does with magnified scope at 100 yards.

I'll be testing my PSA 14.7 middy with a 3-9x scope and see how it does.

5. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Ten-four. Definitely sounds like a GI trigger. 1/8 twist? I'd try anything from the light stuff all the way to a 62 grain.... you may be surprised! Keep us posted.

6. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    1/8 should stabilize everything below 80 grains except tracers and barnes x, and maybe other new " green" ammo.

7. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I tried some 75 gr bthp through my M4 with a 1/9 twist and could not get it to tighten up on the target at 50 yards. The rest of my rifles are all 1/7.... they run the 68 and 75 grain well and with great accuracy. It'd be interesting to see the results of a 1/8.....

8. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I bought a Chrome lined FN made PSA 16" mid-length light profile barrel in 6.8 and built a gun around it. It will throw 10 shots handloaded with 95 grain Barnes TTSX bullets into a nice small < 1" group and put ten more into about 2 1/4" at 200 I've been very impressed with this barrel. Its VERY consistent.

I like it so much I built another upper in 5.56 using a light profile 14.5 barrel and its been a screamer with Federal 193 and M855 as well.

I've got a PSA pencil profile gun I'm building now with a Wilson Combat TRIM rail and a Noveski N4 lower. If I can ever get Spike's to send me the correct .625 Low profile gas block I'll let you know how it shoots. They've sent the wrong part twice.

9. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio

I shoot Hornady Superformance Match 5.56 NATO 75 gr. BTHP in my Bushmaster 20” with a 1/9 barrel. With a scope, I can keep the groups very tight. With iron sights, well I am still working on that. :embarassed:

10. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Dang- well maybe it is me! :embarassed: In my defense, have iron sights on that rifle- it is an A2 with a fixed carry handle. Maybe the fact that it (the 1/9 twist) is the only M4 I have that also is (of course) a carbine length..... hmmmmm.

Maybe my eyes are not what they used to be? Nevermind, I know they are not. I think I answered my own question:faint:

11. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I need to get new glasses too. I have to buy my normal pair and get a pair in safety glasses for work. I would rather buy guns. :supergrin: