Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Protecting yourself while in the yard Post-TSHTF

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wjv, Aug 26, 2011.

1. wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    So lets say that we do have a MAJOR -Straight out of Hollywood- SHTF

Cities have burned to the ground because of riots
    10-20% of the population is dead
    Millions of people are now nomadic and have to scrounge for food & water on a daily basis
    60% of the remaining population is starving
    38% of the remaining population is REALLY hungry
    2% (like you) prepared and has lots of food and supplies.

Your living in your home, or at your BOL
    You have a water source 200 yards away (across the road)
    You have a garden, and maybe some chickens/rabbits in the back yard
    3-4 people in your home capable of using firearms

So how do you protect yourself when you need to go outdoors:
    - to get water
    - to tend to the garden
    - to feed the chickens/rabbits
    - to let the dog out so he can pee

Do you do a 360 check of the area before going out?
    Do you go out two at a time (1 to do the task, 1 to watch the other persons back)
    Only go out at night?
    How do you mitigate your exposure?

Seem to me that it's a catch 22. You NEED to go outside, but by doing so, you place yourself at extreme risk.

What if John Melvin Davis (Aka GunKid) is waiting to ambush you with his suppressed .22 at 600 yards :supergrin:

But seriously, if someone observes your home for a few days, it wouldn't be to hard to set up an ambush, and you could find yourself in deep s*** very quickly! I'm not really sure what the right answer is. If you're fortunate enough to have like minded neighbors, I could see setting up some sort of security perimeter. But it seems to me that would take a large number of people.

Ideas? Thoughts?

PS: Regarding the dog. . I have a Yorkie (see avatar) so there is no way that he is going to be an "outside" dog. .
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    According to Fnfal the most popular 'daily business' weapon is a handgun.

3. 360 check? Yes.
    Two at a time? Yes.
    Only at night? Mostly, but random times.
    Mitigate? Quick trips at random times, to and from random directions, and not every day.

Gunkid? I'd let the dogs out (woof woof) to munch on his debarked chihuahua.

Seriously, nobody is going to patiently wait for me for days and nights at a time. I'm just another locked building.

I'd bring in the water, the rabbits, the chickens, and even the whole dang garden if I was worried about that.
  4. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    If was a true SHTF, I would be at my grandfathers place. Its on a hill, only houses around are all family. The garden is between my uncles and gramps place. Only way in is past my other uncles house a mile befor us.
  5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I think it serves as a good example of how there is power in numbers. You cannot be on your guard 24/7. However the more people you can develop a group with, the more you are capable of providing security for your area.
  6. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Families in the Old West used do something called "Doubling Up". Two or more families would all go to one ranch or one farm in times of trouble(think Indian attack). This strategy would work well and relieve the security aspect for just one or two people.

We may be facing a modern Indian attack(not real American Indians(Native Americans) of course, more like criminal bandits). The more firepower you have the better, the more sets of eyes the better...etc.
  7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I think you grossly underestimate the number of people dead, if the major cities are razed. I'd guess you're looking at closer to 50% of the population dead, before they're out of the cities.

But I have dogs, motion detectors, CCTV, I have top of the line NVG's/IR, I am remote, and I have sited some stuff to alert me should people be moving through the area I occupy.

Your best defense, is stealth, fences/shubbery to hide what you've got from the outside world. Move at night when you have to go to places that are likely threats, and blend in.
  8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Overwatch and random times.Don't settle inta patters.'08.
  9. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Safety in numbers. Unless you're really in a desolate location I can see armed neighborhood patrols being a common occurence.

PS. You are probably 1000x more likely to be kiled by lighting than in a Hollywood-style SHTF acopalypse.
  10. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    On the “360 check”, a small solar/battery setup can power some cameras pretty easily. Only complication & energy-hog would be the monitor power, but if you only ran the monitor as needed, it could be done pretty economically. For that matter, since you wouldn’t be recording (I assume), there’d be no reasons to run the cameras constantly either, which would also reduce requirements. Typical small, color hi-resolution security camera – the self-contained type, not the ones in a separate box housing – tend to pull 300-500 milliamps is all even with IR illuminators running, so eight (two on each corner) would create a demand of 3-4 amps or so. Figure another 60 watts (five amps at 12vdc) for a monitor maybe? Figuring how many hours (more probably ‘minutes’) you think you’d want to run it per day, would tell you how large a battery you’d need; and that would tell you what size charging panel you’d need.

Quick & dirty – half hour a day usage means ~4 or 5 amp/hours per day needed. (That’s 48-60 watt/hours if we’re at 12volts.) A small ten-watt panel, collecting ten hours a day, figure ~80 watt/hours a day capacity. Hook up with a charge controller and a (probably) 12 amp/hour battery, and you’re good to go for literally years; until the battery needs replacing, probably 4-6 years down the road. Total cost – probably $140-160 for the panel, battery, and charge controller. Figure another $50-$80 per camera if you buy online and can live with just “good”. Throw in a switcher/quad unit (no idea what they cost – we don’t use them) a small tv or pc monitor and a small sine-wave inverter (unless you get a 12volt monitor), and done for probably 7 or 8 hundred dollars total. It could run 24/7 nowadays off of normal house power, and run on an as-needed basis if house power were unavailable.

Just a thought; may not really be worth the hassle or expense for some folks. And also bear in mind that even IR illuminators are visible to a degree when looked at pretty much straight-on; unless you go with higher-nm and therefore higher cost units.

On the "how do you protect yourself", standard handgun & vest would be my first thoughts. I know a lot of people say they'll carry their rifle "always", but I've tried it just in normal times, and it's darn near impossible to do on an "always" basis. While I can slide my carbine around on my back to do a lot of things, it's just 'in the way' for a lot of things as well; even on the back. Pulling weeds, cutting (castrating) boar hogs, wrestling an uncooperative steer into a stanchion; all things I've never tried with a rifle on me, but can absolutely do with a handgun on me.

As far as gunkid, he never struck me as the patient type; which a stalker in that situation would absolutely have to be, and his bad knees popping would likely give him away anyway. :cool:
  11. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Those that were able would take turns at sentry duty, watching for the watchers.
  12. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter good outside dog would be invaluable!

Get a local communications network (CB, FRS, PSTN, mil-surp fieldphone, 802.11b/g/n VOIP, etc) going with trusted neighbors.

24/7 manned day/night cameras with pan/tilt/zoom covering 360 degrees of premises..

..combined with remote controlled, powerful IR and/or visible spotlights!

If you have access to good NVD, IR Lasers/IR Illuminators, Night Weapons mounted Scopes, Thermal/FLIR...great!

Suppressed weapons with above....even better! :supergrin:

Long Distance Weapons & ammo (AP/API) capable of defeating light armor, cover or stopping a vehicle with one in .338 Lapua or .50 BMG.

Suppressed .50 BMG magazine-fed repeater with long distance night optics...even better stilll....:whistling:

A little trick I came up with years ago to improve visibility with NVD in very dark distant areas of the perimeter..

..remove the visible LED from solar powered path lighting..

..and replace them with IR LED! :whistling:

Also...upgrade the rechargeable batteries...or build an PV powered IR Parameter Light from scratch.

If the predators do not have NOD..

..then they will have no idea they are being lit up..

..& if they do...the smart ones should take the IR Parameter Lighting as a warning to find easier pickings!

Seismic Parameter Alarms....Passive IR or IR Laser Parameter Intrusion Detectors, wireless zone parameter alarms, ect

Body Armor IIIa with Level IV front/back/side when going outside for light tasks or to work areas

..or Dragonskin if you can find it...

..under a jacket for camouflage (so headshots will not be on the menu)..

..but actually wearing it while working hard is a serious thermal load on the body.

But yes on being covered with one or more long guns (PSLs are plentiful with my family/friends)

.. & a 360 check while going outside..

..better still if no cover available for a possible assailant to ambush you..

..and video monitoring and/or community security to negate any unpleasant surprises!

Always have a sidearm handy...better still to have an lightweight M4 or something like a very lightweight Carbon-15 (with fast dot optics) on a fast single point sling at the ready.

What I suggested may seem far fetched to most..

..but most assuredly is real SHTF preparation to a select few! ;)

Those of the "rather have it, than need it" frame of mind! :thumbsup:

13. dsa1115

Sep 22, 2010
    Suburban Chicago
    I think you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. But given the backdrop you've described, i.e., getting water, taking the dog out, tending your garden, etc. etc., it would be wise for your primary to be a rifle like an AR or AK, and a pistol as a backup.
  14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

That is a dangerous recommendation.

Dragonskin has lost its NIJ rating, and should not be considered a capable armor system.

Its been shown to fail when shot with loads well within its threat rating from angles other than straight on, and even the "updated" glue has failed under evaluation by not only the .mil, but various other .gov agencies such as the FBI and DEA.

Its a great idea, but it failed in execution, and anyone who relies upon it to save their lives, is taking a risky proposition, because its no longer a certified ballistic vest, no matter the expiration date on the tag.
  15. kirgi08

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.

LG-1 is the best source of info GT has in the S/P arena.'08.

Bar none/US based that is.
  16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    He's full of info, there is no question or doubt.

But that doesn't make what I said untrue.

Dragon Skin, is not, was not, and never will be the better armor choice. It sold hype, marketed on fear, and did not fair well when it was tested side by side with the current body armor, which was all things considered, pretty badly designed.
  17. kirgi08

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    post times,youse beat ta the stamp.'08.
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    What does that mean?
  19. humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Actually wouldn't be surprised if LG had Dragonskin armor.

I have level IV standalone ceramics in a good fitting rig and some soft armor and they get old real quick. Give me the better mobility instead until there is an immediate threat, fight, or warzone. Agree with lightweight rifle that you really know well and trust with you at all times.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I really wouldn't be either.

DS, isn't really any more expensive than any of the current top of the line brands. And since its NIJ rating revocation there are literally hundreds of vests on the open market. A quick E-bay search showed 4 sets of armor on the first page.