close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pros and Cons of Ultra Compact

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TexasGlockster, Feb 20, 2012.

1. I am getting my CHL soon and was thinking about my next firearm purchase, which will also be by carry gun (I currently have a Gen 4 G17). I don't think I want to pocket carry, but I'm also a small guy (5'9" and 145 lbs) so I want something that won't print like crazy. I know a good IWB holster can make all the difference in the world but I also didn't want to get a gun just to find out that it's too big to carry. Long story short, I'm currently looking at the G26. I've heard a lot of good things about it but wanted to hear about it from those who regularly carry it. I've also seriously considered the Baretta Nano, about which I've heard good things and is thinner (.28" thinner). But I'm not sure that the thinness of the gun is worth the reduced capacity.

Thoughts on either of these two, or other guns that you'd recommend? Am I just being paranoid?:dunno:

2. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Go with the 26 you won't be sorry. I carry it everyday and no one has picked up on it in over a year. I'm 5'9" 200lbs. I wear mine in a CBST about 3:30-4 o'clock.

3. Sorry, still new to the CCW world. What is CBST?

4. Rev.357

Rev.357

Jan 14, 2012
    Heath Springs SC
    I have a G26 & it's a great little gun. Light, fast, easy on target, quick follow ups & can carry it all day. Doesn't make a difference if I'm working, driving, walking I don't know it's even their.:tongueout: BUT I rather carry a med. frame gun namely my G32. You know with the right holster they don't print like some think. If you look at your self you know it's their but, others never see it.

When I put my gun on in the morning it doesn't come off until get in the house to stay. Today I split a cord of wood with my IWB w/G32 & never knew it was their.:supergrin:

Go with the G26 for sure you will love it.

5. chipinoh

chipinoh

Feb 8, 2012
    CrossBreed SuperTuck. It's an Inside-the-WaistBand (IWB) holster.

6. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I have a G26 and it covers just about all situations. I have a couple smaller things like a PM9 but I generally go for the G26 as first choice or a H&K P2000sk .40, but that's a little bigger.

A G26 for carry and a G17 for home pretty much covers all the bases. Throw in a Nano, CM9 or a Smith 442/642 and you're pretty well done buying handguns for carry scenarios and you can start with the collecting in earnest.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    TexasGlockster. I thought you were talking about a 1911 when you said ultra compact. Anyway, the g26 is perfect for carry. I myself am 5 7" and 150lbs and I don't print. Let me add that the small of my back is very "curvy"(lol) and I still don't print with my G19.

Make sure you get a good gun belt, whoever you go with. I've noticed a huge difference using a regular leather belt vs. using an actual gunbelt.

Holsters. Crossbreed's supertuck is good. I use Comptac's Minotaur(mtac) holster. There are plenty of IWB(inside-waist-band) holsters to choose from. I choose to spend more up front and get quality.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
  9. Thanks for all the responses. The 26 will definitely be my next purchase then. And while the CBST are expensive they look like really quality IWB holsters. Any recommendation on cowhide v. horsehide (with the knowledge that I live in Texas and its very hot down here)? My thought was for the horsehide because it supposedly does better with sweat and because the lighter color of the horsehide wouldn't show so much through a white shirt. I was also wondering about J-clips and V-clips. Can someone explain what that's all about?

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Might you tuck your shirt in over the gun?

11. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Do you sweat a lot? Then horsehide. It's more rigid. As for clips, the v-clip is like the J-clip but intended for use with velcro on the inside lining of the belt. I would personally just go for J-clips.

12. It's San Antonio, TX where 105 is no big deal. All we do is sweat. :rofl:

As for the J-clips...that's what I'm thinking too. Are they pretty strong? is having a good gun belt as important with the J-clips?

13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    You should be able to easily conceal a G26. However if you're looking for gun that you might also be able to pocket carry, perhaps a Nano will work. If you're not interested in pocket carry, then I wouldn't see a need to go with a Nano...but that's just my opinion.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    For my second gun I would much want a G26 over a Nano.

15. JLeephoto

JLeephoto

Feb 14, 2011
    I don't think it matters which you get first, a G26 or a pocket gun. No matter what you get your likely to eventually get the other. In my 10 years of ccw, I've worked my way down from a Colt 1911 to the Kahr PM9 with a lot of guns in between but I keep coming back to the G26 as my primary, in my opinion the G26 is the perfect combo of concealability and shootability and would be a great first choice. There are a host of good pocket guns out there. I personally like my Kahr PM9 and I still sometimes wish for something even smaller. It's just nice to have something you can drop in a pocket. Good luck.

16. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    That cause you San Antonio boys don't know nothing about real humidity :tongueout:

Now us Gulf Coast Tejas boys, well we know humidity :rofl:

17. JLeephoto

JLeephoto

Feb 14, 2011
    As for the kydex/leather "hybrid" holsters, I've had a chance to test both the Crossbreed and the Comp-Tac Minotaur. Both are comfortable and thin, but fairly bulky in that they take up the whole hip. They're like sticking a folded up newspaper in your waistband. The Crossbreed is a little wider and thus spreads the weight a bit better, it is a full rough side out holster so there is a lot of friction and it just sticks to your waist and doesn't move. That is generally a good thing for comfort, but makes it a PITA to take on and off without fully dropping trou and putting it on the waistband. My Comp-Tac is a little more compact, and has both smooth and rough side on the back so I can more easily slip it in the waistband. Overall, I use it more often.
    Whatever you get, make sure you get a good true gunbelt. These don't have to be overly expensive. The Wilderness System 5 stitch belts will do the job well for $40. The only alternative to a true gun belt I've used is the Cabelas "Double Duty" which is a thick double stitched leather.
    Finally, you're putting about 1 1/2" of extra width inside your waistband. If you're pants already fit snug, that's gonna be uncomfortable. Go with waist sizes at least 1" larger for comfort. That's where the good belt comes in, to hold it all up.

18. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Really? I didn't know Texas got so hot!!!

Yup, with the gun belt the holster won't sag into your pants and will stay planted. Also the gunbelt will distribute weight of holster and gun evenly making it more comfortable to wear. Which goes back to the sagging into the pants thing.

J-clips will be strong enough. It's not like you're ripping it out of your pants. lol. Unless it's a girl present and a different gun is being shown. :whistling:

Yeah, how should I know about Texas heat... :whistling:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  19. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I just know those northern Texas boys think they have it hot, they have that dry heat. The true Texas heat is on the Gulf Coast as we all know :tongueout:

Where are you at it Texas?

20. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    :rofl: Me too! I was just going to come in here and recommend a Glock 26! :supergrin:

The G-26 is the greatest concealed carry weapon on the market IMO. It is so versatile and it can do anything the larger Glocks can do.

ANYONE can pack a sub Glock. There is no excuse to carry anything less than a G-26 w/ spare mag unless your daily attire is a leotard.