close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Proper disposal of live rounds

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by nevnut, Apr 15, 2011.

1. nevnut

nevnut

Feb 2, 2011
    Carlin, NV
    I got my first hand gun in 2002, a Taurus PT92 9mm with cherrywood grips and gold trim. I bought a 1000 reloads from an old friend but only used about 150 rounds before I got rid of the Taurus, I switched to 45acp. The problem with the reloads is they were crappy and a had quite a few misfires so I quit using them and don't want to sell them to anyone. How do I get rid of them? Thought about just taking them out in the hills and just bury them, lot of desolate areas around here. Bad idea?

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I've read things like throwing them in a can full of oil to render them inactive. If it's just a couple usually ranges have an ammo can that you can throw live rounds in to. 850 might be a bit much though!

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Anything... motor oil is probably one would have the most of.

If one were really ambitious you could get a bullet puller and dissemble the rounds and reuse or resell the bullets and cases. Although I don't know if there is a way to safely deprime a case with a live primer in it. Doing 850 would be a huge pain in the ***** though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. beefcakeb0

beefcakeb0

Feb 4, 2010
    Bristol, Tn
    bullet puller, it will take a while though with all of that ammo, but at least you will have 850 bullets, 850 cases, and a lot of powder. Oh and primers too but I guess you would want to change them out. Thats a decent amount of money there worth of materials. So I wouldn't just waste it like that. Invest in a puller or borrow one. At the very least you could resell the components.

5. nevnut

nevnut

Feb 2, 2011
    Carlin, NV
    I think fmj, I'll check in the morning.

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Put them up as a give away and explain why. Many will take them and disassemble into components.

7. transformers0704

transformers0704

Feb 14, 2011
    it took me 1 year to save up for reload equipment. i wouldn't mind having those to my collection. i can de prime and buy powder to fill it up. :supergrin:

8. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

Feb 14, 2005
    MN
    Put me on the list of buyers if you want to sell them!

If you are local I would even pick them up....since I am such a nice guy and all. :)

9. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Dec 13, 2009
    That works, i saw the Three Stooges do it once :rofl:

10. ScEd

ScEd

May 21, 2003
    UpState SC
    Toss them in the woods for future Archeologist to find.

11. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Alaska
    Drop by the police station and see if they'll dispose of them for you. I think this is a service that a lot of police provide.

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Squeeze them with pliers or give them to a reloader.

13. Give them a good home. Give them to a reloader. It would be a shame to destroy them. Many on here would take them off your hands and pay for the shipping including me.

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Sure, it would be some work to "pull" them... but plenty of people have the spare time and 850 bullets/cases is alot.

You could pull the depriming pin on your resizer die and run the cases back through the resizer and keep the primers. Just add new powder and you're good to go.

No way would I "dispose" of them, just because of the problems you had.

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Give them to a CRB.

Wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew there was 850 oil soaked bullets sitting in the trash somewhere...

16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    See lots of people willing to take care of your problem for you.:supergrin:

Give them yo that local guy and turn your problem into a win win situation.

17. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    +1 850 cases, primers and projectiles are worth some money. Get a $14 puller and save the projectiles, and primed cases. Toss the powder as lawn fertilizer.

The misfires were probably due to the primers not being fully seated. Pull the decapping rod from the sizing die, resize and reseat the primers. Charge with a good powder (between 1/2# to 1# required at $20/#), reseat the projectiles, and someone has 850 ready to shoot rounds for $35 and some time invested. That's a little over $2.05/50 rounds.

What's not to like. There's gold those "duds".