close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Professional videographers/photogs for TV

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrMurphy, Jun 14, 2004.

1. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Anybody else in/used to be in the biz? I shot for an NBC affiliate.

2. T. Harless

T. Harless
    Expand Collapse

Back in '85- '86 I used to shoot still photos for KDKA in Pittsburgh while in college. Then 15 years as a photojournalist for daily newpapers. Now I'm full on freelance. Haven't worked for "the man" since 98.

Todd

3. FrankM

FrankM
    Expand Collapse

I have worked in and out of the biz for about 25yrs....from studio camera to asst news dir.....left the biz about 2yrs ago after breaking in a new sat truck....the first one in the texas panhandle....had offers to go do bigger and better things but I HATE MOVING!!!

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I started out running master control, ended up as senior master control operator when the "other" senior guy (18 years) died in his sleep of a heart attack..... they said, "We see you as a director" and I said, "I see myself as a photographer..... if I don't become one, there's a dozen police departments who'd love to have me.." two months later, I had the spot.

5. Chuck66

Chuck66
    Expand Collapse
    Traveling Man

I shoot for a CBS affiliate. Been there just over 5 years. I'm also the live trucks chief. Before here, I was across town at the NBC for 2 years. They tried to push me into an overnight producer gig, and ended up pushing me into the live truck gig at the other station.

It has it's days. Good day: go on a big drug bust and get to see/check out all the cool guns seized from criminals, which doubles as advanced knowledge of what's gonna show up at the next seizures auction. Bad day: crazy ass redneck pulls a shotgun on me while I'm shooting his land from a public street. Suddenly, I didn't care that I was there legally. His 12ga pre-empted any law I had on my side.

I, of course, would be fired for carrying a gun to work(provided I got caught;f )