close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Problems with Underwood ammo...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G20 SF, Mar 7, 2013.

1. G20 SF

G20 SF

Mar 6, 2013
    Shot through 7 mags of ammo last weekend mostly target stuff PPU, Blazer etc, but I loaded one mag up with the hot stuff - UW 180 grain.

The first couple of shots went off without a hitch, but I had trouble with 3 or 4 out of the 15 rounds feeding into the chamber, thus requiring me to push the slide forward to feed the next round. I had no issues with the other 6 clips of ammo, which leads me to believe the issue was ammo related.

I sent Underwood an e-mail and Kevin Underwood was quick to reply asking that I call him, which I did but still waiting on that call back.

Being a new G20 owner I was curious if anyone else experienced a similar issue when shooting Underwood.

2. copo9560

copo9560

Feb 21, 2012
    I have had no issues with any ammo through my G20 including many of Underwoods 180 grain. Shoots 40sw as well.

I had a similar experience with my G23 once - slide was dry. Couple drops of oil took care of the issue.

3. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    The only trouble I have had with Underwood ammo is them not having enough in stock when I want to order.
    Have put around 1500 rds of his 10mm stuff through my 20 and 29 with no troubles, at least so far.

4. G20 SF

G20 SF

Mar 6, 2013
  5. G20 SF

G20 SF

Mar 6, 2013
    Good point, I'll try and grease the slide.

6. G20 SF

G20 SF

Mar 6, 2013
    Glad to hear, because I enjoyed shooting it. I will try a little bit of oil as mentioned earlier and see if that helps. Thx

7. wlkjr

wlkjr

Apr 9, 2012
    I have some Underwood ammo but haven't shot it yet. I have less than a hundred rounds through my G20SF, and probably about the same on the 23. I'll make special note when I shoot the Underwoods.

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    I've got a box of 50 rounds of .357 Magnum 125gr. GDHP's from Underwood, and I can't wait to shoot them from my 4" Ruger GP100. Hopefully, they won't give me any problems! It looks like Kevin Underwood is a good guy, with a good business.

10. G20 SF

G20 SF

Mar 6, 2013
    So I got to thinking,,, why would just the Underwood give me trouble with feeding if lubricity of the slide was an issue? I shot 5 clips of the regular stuff before without issue and another clip of the regular stuff after the UW clip and did not have a problem. The only time my experienced troubles with feeding the round was when it was loaded with UW.

11. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    I have had very good luck with Kevin's ammo. in 9mm, 10mm, 357 SIG, and 45 Auto.
    He runs a good business from what I can see. Always returns answers to my emails, gets orders shipped fast, and delivery is pretty darn fast, considering I live on the other side of the continent.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. Adamz04

Adamz04

Mar 28, 2012
    Indiana
    I had problems with their 9mm 124+p+ gold dots not ejecting in my g26. Every other round would give me a fte. Needless to say I don't use it

13. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

That's because the slide is reciprocating very rapidly with high pressure rounds and it helps to have Wolff 10% Xtra mag springs.

14. intecooler

intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    It's hard to tell. Gun setup is EXTREMELY important when you load up a mag with the top of the heap 10mm out there. I think Kevin needs to includes some instruction sheets in every box.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I don't recall CorBon having such chronic problems . . . . .

16. intecooler

intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    You are a Cor-Bon fanatic yes? Cor-Bon is down here ___ and Underwood up here ----. It's like Apples to Oranges in performance. I have been sending Chopinbloc Cor-Bon for gel testing and have yet to see anything that moves me.

Enjoy some recent tear-down info:

http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo/corbon-135gr-pow/

Well none have met spec yet. Two 135 types and different specs. Just nothing justifies the cost IMO.

17. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Are those knuckleheads in the link you provided too stupid to know that Corbon uses special blend powders and not off the shelf stuff? :upeyes:

18. intecooler

intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    Where data or comparisons didn't exist for what was found it was blanked other than charge weight. The main Knucklehead has been around doing the reload thing for a long time. :wow:

19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I have had a lot of FTF's, FTE's with the 10mm. It was worth a try. But, I was disapointed. Now, I am going to end up trying Buffalo Bore or Double Tap, and see how that works out.