Problems with trimming .223

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ustate, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ustate

ustate NRA Member

I recently started getting ready to start loading for the AR I recently built. I have a batch of brass that I've resized that I'm having a problem trimming. The case length rod (Lee) won't fit into the brass-the case length rod goes in a bit but not near enough to trim, the necks are too narrow. This is only a problem for the brass that I've resized, ones still waiting to be resized the case length gage fits in normally.

The only other rifle cartridge I load for is .30/06 and I haven't had this problem there. Am I missing something or did I do something wrong?

The resized cases range from 1.763 - 1.766 so they're all a bit too long. I thought that maybe they were close enough then thought better about that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ustate, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Sorry I'v never used the Lee trimming tools but you are right in trimming the brass after it has been resized.

3. Are you sure you have the right case length gage for.223 REM brass part #90114.

And yes the brass needs to be trimmed to 1.750"

#3 ColoCG, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. It sounds like you have the wrong case gage rod, whether by mistake or bad packaging.:dunno:

5. ustate

ustate NRA Member

I've thought about that possibility. The one I have now does say 223 but I have thought about buying another one (they're only $6) just to see if the one I have now was mislabeled.

6. Those Lee trimmers are bad about that. If you trim before you resize with them, the rod doesn't fit in the neck with 223. HOWEVER, it will trim enough that it will still be under max case length after sizing, just don't expect 600 yard match ammo doing it that way.

7. ustate

ustate NRA Member

I've sent an email asking Lee about the problem. Odd that the case gage to trim the brass down won't fit after resizing.

8. Get a possum hollow with adapter for your drill much better and faster than the Lee.

9. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I've had the Lee trimmer stuff be off dimension for a few cartridges. Try another one and see if it works.

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Agreed!

11. I have used the Lee trimmer for years. It is a "must" that you deburr the flash hole before you use the trimmer. Flash hole only has to be deburred once. You have to deburr so that the trimmer will seat flush against the base of the case.

#11 phonejack, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  12. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Bought a second case length gauge on my way home from work today, it also doesn't fit into the cases. For those familiar with the Lee case length gauges there is a point about half way down where it gets a little bit wider, that's where it binds up. I sent an email to Lee last week but still haven't heard back from them. Looks like I may just dump the zip trim and get a different one.

These cases were resized/deprimed with a Lee die.

#12 ustate, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. Why not just file it down a tad?

14. Best way to do it is to chuck it into the end of a drill and use some sandpaper to take it down a bit and polish it.