close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with 9 year old

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RenoF250, Feb 2, 2013.

1. "Hands are for love....belts are for correction."

When my dad brought the belt out, I knew I screwed up and he meant business. He never beat me, but there were welps.

And I thank him for correcting me. Not saying that works for all kids, but sure did for me.

2. ARP

ARP

Jan 29, 2012
    He'll walk into that math class on the first day, look up and see that guy nailed to the plus sign and know they mean seriopus business there! :rofl::rofl:

3. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe Machetes & Guns

Oct 3, 2000
    MoCo
    Some good advice on this thread.

My 2 cents. I have an 8 year old, this, in my limited experience, sounds to me like he is bored.

My child ended up with multiple assessments when younger and the consensus was that he should be promoted 2.5 grade levels ahead just to keep his attention since he was just too far ahead versus his classmates.

Imagine you, at your age, with your intelligence, having to sit through grade school, and do homework.

I did not catch if you have taken him for professional assessments.

4. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Apr 24, 2011
    PRONJ
    I can share some personal experience. I was a bad 9 year old. Almost repeated 4th grade because I was always acting out in school. Even though I was smart, I was failing - always disrupting class and making the teacher's job a living hell.

This was the 1970's and back then there was no ADHD and drugs weren't being prescribed to every other kid. I was just a bad kid.

Truth is, my parents were divorced and mom was dating losers. No doubt I wanted attention.

But it turned around for me. By high school, I was getting straight A's and headed for college.

The moral of the story: In time, this too can pass for you and your child. Try not to lose patience. Stick to your guns. Be loving and attentive, but set clear boundaries and stick to them. We all lose patience with our kids, so wifey and you have to be a team on this so that she can step in when you are losing your cool. If you and your wife have differing rules, the kid will definitely take advantage of that, so you need to set rules that you will both stick to.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013