close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

problem with emails-- little help from a guru pls

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by EvilGenius, May 2, 2005.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius

Aug 1, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    Here's my situation. Out of the blue today I started getting emails bounced back to me that I've never sent. At first, they were getting bounced back to a proxy I used for all incoming email, so I figured my password had been hacked, but now, they are getting bounced back to my real deal pop3 email account--the one that noone knows!

I run kerio firewall, and can pass pretty much any sniffer that you want to throw at me, plus the standard AVG etcetc

When I last noticed, I went ahead and ran an AVG check. Instead of giving me "ok" for all the check it runs at the beginning of the scan, three of them came back labeled "change" --

user32.dll
    shell32.dll
    ntoskrnl.exe

I would love any help you can offer -- here's a copy of one of the emails:

and another that's a bit different

2. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    More than likely you are not the one infected. The infected person has you in their address book, so the virus spoofs the sender when it send out its infected emails.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    This is an easy fix.

1. Go to Trend and run their excellent HouseCall to remove the spam-bot.

2. Download Avast! antivirus.

3. Delete AVG in its entirety and restart the computer.

4. Install and update Avast. Run it.

5. Never use Internet Exploiter again for anything other than Updates...in fact, installing SP2 (in SAFE MODE) and just using Automatic Updates is a good idea; at least then you will never have to take your most exploitable software out into the wild ever again.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius

Aug 1, 2004
    Austin, TX, USA
    thanks for the advice

trend micro as well as AVG and panda online all tell me I'm clean.

I run Firefox with Thunderbird on SP2 fully updated.

I have used Avasti before but it just didn't like some of my programs for some reason.

Here's what I'm thinking...somehow, I must have let that email address out into the wild and someone has both addresses in their address book, in concert with the above mentioned virus. What I'm seeing is boucebacks from the OTHER persons infected computer spoofing my emails.

Thoughts on this?

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    That is quite possible, EG.

The virus would not be checking, and thereby removing, the Failed Delivery notice from your Inbox, would it?