close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

problem with computer shutting off

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by darin2, Aug 29, 2005.

1. darin2

darin2
    Expand Collapse

I have a friend who has an older computer, around 4 yrs old. It has recently started cutting off on her several times a day. She reboots and it works okay for a short while. I don't believe it's a virus because that is all up to date and has been scanned. I took the tower apart and cleaned it for her...it was very dusty and dirty on the inside. I was thinking maybe it was a hardware issue with something heating up and shutting down the system. After cleaning it, she still has the same problem. Any suggestions on how to approach this is appreciated. Thanks.

Darin

darin2@alltel.net

2. SavageDragon

SavageDragon
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like RAM to me. Are there any error messages or have you checked the log files? I am working on a laptop at work that is having this issue. It started last week. I ran a system diagnostic and got an coded error. Since it's still under warranty i called Dell. It isn't fixed yet but i'll let you know what they say.

3. aspartz

aspartz
    Expand Collapse

Are all of the fan working? It may take a while for the PS to overheat and shutdown.

ARS

4. SavageDragon

SavageDragon
    Expand Collapse

Dell suggested updating the BIOS and the diagnostic code i got was from the NIC driver which i updated. No problems since.

5. David_G17

David_G17
    Expand Collapse
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

weird.