Problem with beavertail backstrap

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by txstate08, Feb 12, 2014.

1. I'm using my Gen 4 G17 for IDPA and I keep expecting to get my hand caught when using the slide release. So I bought the backstrap kit and am trying to install the medium beavertail backstrap but am having issues. I can't seem to get all 4 holes to line up with the longer pin. This seems like it should be a simple task. Has anyone had issues with this and if so how did you eventually get the pin in? Mine is an early Gen 4 and does not have the tongue on the back that the beavertail backstrap snaps into. Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    The Problems faced by the Republican Party... Political Issues Yesterday at 3:29 PM
    Glock 43 problem? General Glocking Sunday at 3:40 PM
    New Glock Trigger Problem General Glocking Saturday at 8:22 PM
    You May Have A Problem The Lighter Side Friday at 8:25 AM
    The Problem Isn't Guns Or White Men The Okie Corral Thursday at 7:02 PM

3. Without the tongue/tab the beavertail won't be very well supported. That aside, I don't have Gen4s but I do use the Grip Force Adapters. Is it possible for you to put the longer pin not as far out on one side then sort of "roll" the backstrap over the shorter pin length? This works on the GFAs. You finish by pushing the pin again until it's balanced.

4. Slide release?
  5. Squeeze backstrap while putting pin in.
  6. ditto
  7. tager

Afternoon txstate08;

Squeezing can work but not always without some effort.

Personally, I install the back strap then insert the short (non backstrap) pin about 1/4" on the right hand side (to align & hold that side aligned.

Then install the longer backstrap pin from the left & push it through therefore pushing the short pin out as it goes (usually works a treat)
  8. Good idea.
  9. Unfortunately I have tried squeezing and the two pin trick. I can get the long pin in almost all the way, but just not quiet into that last hole. Im wondering if I might be able to put a zip tie on it and tighten it until it lines up. Thanks for the input!