close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem front sight replacement on M&P

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by Generalcarry, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I bought a TruGlo sight for a 40 M&P. The sight had to be filed to fit. Do ALL brands of front sights need to be modified to fit the front dove tail?

2. Linux3

Linux3

Pretty much.
    I have replaced more than a few front sights and always had to do a little file work.

I even ordered a set of Williams Firesights right from Kahr for my TP9 and had to fiddle with them.

3. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

If you've replaced many sights on the M&P .9/.40 I'm interested. If not, it's not an answer to my question. When the M&P first made it's debut, front sight replacement was a concern.

4. Linux3

Linux3

I replaced the front sight on my M&P 9MM AND my M&P 9MM Pro. In both cases the new sight had to have a little filing to fit.

I used the Kahr example only to point out that even a sight from the manufacturer of a pistol was not a perfect fit out of the box.

I could have added that I broke the fiber rod in my Pro and S&W sent me a whole new front sight. I had to touch it up before it would fit.

Sheesh!

5. up1911fan

up1911fan

Pretty much all replacement sight's are gonna need to be filed a bit to fit. It's meant to be a tight fit.

6. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

This.

7. GRTAC

GRTAC

Generally no. Do you have the sight pusher?

We install Trijicon and Ameriglo sights on a DAILY basis and are a certified S&W armorer.

C4

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

9. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

I also install sights daily and have done so for years. We use several different sight pushers and never have to file. If the sight is that tight I send it back to the manufacture.

Smith M&P are handled the same way as Sigs and GLOCKS.

10. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

I only have recent experience with M&P sights, but found that the rear on my 45 was so tight it warranted a trip to the gunsmith to remove. I had bought a set of 10-8 Performance sights to replace the factory. I took a few whacks at the rear with a drift and mallet, and couldn't get it to budge. I didn't even attempt the front sight. I do not have an M&P sight tool. $65 later I have my 10-8 sights and am a happy camper for the moment. I've heard that S&W dovetails are pretty tight.

What experiences has anyone had with M&Ps and sight pusher tools? I think I need to get one.