close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem Barrel?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Limedust, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Limedust

Limedust

I've put 600 rounds through my Gen 3 17 in the past two months (new gun). After each range trip--6 so far--I have cleaned the gun according to the instruction/car manual. The past two times I've noticed what I'm almost sure is lead fouling in the rifling grooves of the barrel--won't come clean, even after soaking and brushing.

I've used 400 Federal Champion rounds and 200 of various other types (Estate, WWB, Remington). None of them are particularly clean, but I'm worried about the barrel at this point. Seems odd that leading would have occurred to the extent it has (all grooves are fouled, worst one is groove starting at feed ramp).

Possible problem, or over-worried examination? Should I just get some Chore-Boy, lead solvent, or even metal polish?

--Sorry if this seems repetitious . . . the threads I found were generally in regard to lead cast bullets without the jacket.

2. scosgt

scosgt

If you are not shooting lead loads, there is no barrel leading.
    Try cleaning with copper solvent.
    It is possible your barrel was made with a tool at the end of it's service life and it did not cut the grooves cleanly.
    But, if it shoots OK I would not worry about it.

3. teweekley

teweekley

I have that problem with my Gen 3 G19 barrel. I tried every type of solvent, brush, technique on the internet. It isn't as bad as it used to be and it seems to go away more as the FMJ round count increases. If it isn't affecting accuracy, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Those gray lead like looking areas on the lands of the rifling are areas where the black (gray finish on newer Glock barrels) barrel finish layer had been removed by the projetile as it travels through the barrel, kind of like when the barrel hood develops it's first wear spots where it comes in contact/rubs with the inner slide while the gun cycles.

That's why it's impossible to remove those gray areas, not even with the best solvents because what you see is blank metal, but still corrosion protected and hardened by the Plasma-assisted Ferritic nitrocarburizing process, or salt bath Ferritic nitrocarburizing process on older Glock models, also know as the Tennifer brand name.

These gray areas always start to apear in the last third of the barrel lengh where the projetile creates the most friction/heat against the barrel due to its higher speeds at the end of the barrel. I have never seen these gray areas in the middle of the barrel.

The gray areas on the lands are pretty hard spot with bare eyes. They are easier to spot when the barrel is clean and you shine a white LED light into the muzzle.

So nothing to worry about, it's totally normal.